Ho do I backup my install disks? 10.5/10.6

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JohnnyMac1, Jul 21, 2010.

1. JohnnyMac1 macrumors newbie

I scratched my 10.5 disk and it wont read in the macbook pro I need it for but it reads in my mac pro fine. Is there a way I can make a duplicate of it to have as a backup and to use to install on the macbook pro? Also it would make sense to backup my 10.6 disk too.
    Let me know. Thanks in advance

2. Willdta macrumors member

Willdta

its very simple,this will work for almost any dvd and cd-rom as well.all you need to do is get a img program like roxio (or several others that are free).then make a img of the dvd or a clone basically, and simply just burn that to a dvd.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No third party application is needed. As the link I posted explains, Disk Utility does that, and Disk Utility is part of Mac OS X' Utilities folder.

4. JohnnyMac1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Spinnerlys
    I did the copy and put in a blank dvd and the message screen says "waiting for drive" it then spins ect then stops with the message screen still up. I did notice that the copy of 10.6 I tried to make is 6.74gb. Is that whats causing it to time out? As the data is larger then a 4.7gb dvd blank disk.
    Thanks so much to both of You for your help!!

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You need a Double Layer (DL) DVD to burn the image Disk Utility creates. Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6 take up more than 4.7GB (4.37GiB), thus a DL DVD with 8.5GB (7.9GiB) is needed.

6. Willdta macrumors member

Willdta

i find third party apps better than disk utility,and my explanation would work for all computers not just mac