Ho do I insert blank frame into iMovie project?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by stringtheorist, Apr 8, 2008.

1. stringtheorist macrumors regular

I want a black titlepage background to appear in my video and the only way I've so far been able to achieve this is insert a still frame copied from elsewhere in the video and then drop all the video output sliders to 0. However I can still see traces of the image. How can I get a completely blank frame to run my titles over?

2. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I recorded a couple of minutes on my camera with the lens cap on, and then I can use that wherever needed in iMovie.

If you save these couple of mins of blackness to a file, you can import it into other projects.

EDIT: if you're desperate, this might work: duplicate a clip, apply fade to black, then select the last frame and duplicate / freeze it.

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

In iMovie 06, you can select black background for your titles. Besides, in timeline mode you can push a clip towards right which inserts a black scene before it and black scene's duration is determined by how much you push that clip sideways.

4. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using iMovie 7 so I suppose I should be able to do what you describe? I'll look into it.

5. stringtheorist thread starter macrumors regular

I draped a black cloth in front of the camera on my iMac. It seems to work.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I thought you could use the media manager to import photos. If so, just create a black image and import that.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Check out the "Create a color clip" section of this page to learn how to do if from within iMovie.

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

This is helpful for me too, thanks. But it doesn't escape the lame fact that iMovie ought to have such basic features as these, especially as '06 and previous versions did.

9. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Good idea.

10. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

These tips are not for the new version of iMovie.

11. mindbites macrumors newbie

Hey there,

if you need some good tips on how to make/edit videos there's this site that has some good FREE instructional video tips. Check it out at this link to a website called mindbites.com

12. BeeVeePee macrumors newbie

either use a blank title page or as the other fella said...just put a break in the clip...and slide it to the right to make a black clip

13. CpSco macrumors newbie

I exported a blank black slide from Keynote as a JPEG, and pulled it into iMovie as a picture. I can make the duration whatever I want.

14. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

I'm fairly certain there an "over black" option in the iMovie titles options, which, if you select it, puts your titles over a black background.

Also, in iMovie HD, as others have already suggested, if you just want black you can slide a clip along the timeline to the right to leave a gap between that and the previous shot. iMovie fills in the gap with black (actually, it doesn't "fill it in" but you get black by default). That way you can have as much black as you like. Does this not work on later versions?