Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sepandee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
I have to buy my dad a laptop. Was thinking of the Lenovo X220 but then I found out it doesn't have an optical drive. Now i'm looking at the Sony Vaio VPCSB11FXB or at the Samsung Samsung NP350U2B-A01.

However, I might just buy a refurbished macbook pro. My question is, apart from any ideas/suggestions you may have about the aforementioned laptops, would it be perfectly OK if I ran a windows operating system on the MBP? My dad needs Windows, not OS X.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Sure you can run Windows, using Bootcamp, Fusion, Parallels, etc. I'm confused, though...if your dad needs Windows, why would you buy a Mac for him instead of just sticking with a Windows machine?

sepandee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Sure you can run Windows, using Bootcamp, Fusion, Parallels, etc. I'm confused, though...if your dad needs Windows, why would you buy a Mac for him instead of just sticking with a Windows machine?

Because after working with both of them, and reading so many reviews, Apple laptops seem to be the only ones that are rated and reviewed in a consistent way. Any other brand and no matter what I search, there all always some issues with the laptop: overheating, the touchpad, flimsy hinges, plastic and flimsy feel.... there's always at least some complaints.

Plus, the laptop codes just confuse me. Apple's are easy; with SOny, for example, there's the S-serious, but then you get a bunch of codes after that. ANd once you figure that out, then you have to figure out the other codes that comes after that.:confused:

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Go for it, I was thinking about doing the same for my parents with an older MacBook.

Use Parallels for Windows, that way you don't have to constantly be restarting between Mac OS & Windows with Bootcamp. Have him try out the Mac side of things for once as well, there is no need to get an MBP just to solely use Windows on.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Bear in mind that those reviews are based upon stock configurations, which mean they are using OS X. Things do change slightly when running solely on Windows, such as the trackpad pluses of gestures don't always work as the reviews state. Also the newer machines don't support installations of XP through Bootcamp, if you need XP.

sepandee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Go for it, I was thinking about doing the same for my parents with an older MacBook.

Use Parallels for Windows, that way you don't have to constantly be restarting between Mac OS & Windows with Bootcamp. Have him try out the Mac side of things for once as well, there is no need to get an MBP just to solely use Windows on.

Isn't running Parallels a bit slower than using Bootcamp? At least that was my experience a few years ago. He doesn't need OS X at all, so why even bother with Parallels? Every time he turns the machine on he can just Bootcamp into windows.

And he doesn't need to try the Mac side really. At 73, he has to re-learn all the keyboard shortcuts. Plus, he has a few programs for his work that run only in Windows.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Yeah, it might not be worth it then to relearn everything. Although when it comes to most of the keyboard shortcuts the only difference is Windows is Control+ key and OSX is Command+samekey (i.e. copy is Control-C in Windows and Command-C in OS X).

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Isn't running Parallels a bit slower than using Bootcamp? At least that was my experience a few years ago. He doesn't need OS X at all, so why even bother with Parallels? Every time he turns the machine on he can just Bootcamp into windows.

And he doesn't need to try the Mac side really. At 73, he has to re-learn all the keyboard shortcuts. Plus, he has a few programs for his work that run only in Windows.

I use Parallels all the time with a basic Windows XP installation, and it does not feel slow at all, certainly not with today's Macs. RAM is key when using a computer with two OSes running at the same time.

Also, there is no need to really relearn anything other than using the Command Key rather than the Control Key to do keyboard shortcuts. (Though Windows has a dumb shortcut for 'redo' choosing Control Y instead of Command Shift Z...It would make sense to me to use the same key!...but other commands are literally the same). Command + C = Copy, Command + Z = Undo, Command + P = Print so on and so forth.

OS X is much more easier to grasp than Windows, and also, it is not that much of a learning curve, and can provide a more pleasant experience. Also, the lack of viruses is worth it alone.

If you don't mind me asking, what programs are only available in Windows that he needs? The Mac equivalents (sometimes free) are out there.

sepandee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
If you don't mind me asking, what programs are only available in Windows that he needs? The Mac equivalents (sometimes free) are out there.

It's some program for his university. It's a custom program, so I doubt there's a Mac equivalent out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.