iPhone 8(+) Hoarders data struggle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DrWho, Mar 27, 2018.

1. DrWho macrumors member

DrWho

I need to ask someone to help me with my photos on my iPhone 8 Plus

Initially as a new years resolution I wanted to safely make sure (double and triple check) all my photos were backed up on my iPhone before, deleting them and starting all over again, and at least have them somewhere safe, so I could pick and choose, which ones I wanted back on, hopefully saving me up to 12GB in the process

That was 3 months ago, almost 4

Countless efforts to try and make this a reality, have not worked, and countless lightning to USB drives, and various apps they come with have not worked, giving me the Goldilocks effect... e.g Leef is way too slow regardless of formatting, Space from Mophie doesn't make cases anymore, or at least iPhone 8 Plus size, iXpand Drive does work but I am not convinced, AGP file works, but you can't offload anything else from the phone on it, and the latest last attempt with i-EasyDrive gave me so many file formats I had never even heard of, and many trials with Preview on my mac and image capture, either give me errors during the transfer process, and stop every thing

Is there anything that exists, that will enable me to make sure that I have (without any doubts) backup every photo/video safely, and that is potentially portable, so I can carry around and connect it easily to my iPhone to enable me to drag/select photos to put back on at my leisure?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

If they're only taking 12GB you're 3GB under the free limit (of TOTAL storage used) that a Google account will allow. Therefore, you could use Google Photos, with "Upload size" set to "Original", to upload all your photos. You could then download them from Google Photos on the web to a computer and put them anywhere you want to.

3. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'm surprised that neither Preview nor Image Capture is working for you.

[edit]

Wait -- you're using Preview and not Photos?

4. HobeSoundDarryl, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    A computer (ideally a Mac, probably a laptop Mac since you desire that level of portability) plus the free (included) Photos app. It appears you are trying every possible way EXCEPT using Photos on your Mac and yet a computer is the defacto, best way to "hoard" digital files of any size for up to forever.

Once on the computer, regularly backup to at least one other drive and store that drive off site (work? Bank safe deposit box? Family member home?) so that if your home is destroyed, taking the computer and maybe phone with it, you still have a complete backup somewhere else.

That will be about as good as it gets for what you want to do here.

There are also wifi drives that work with both Mac and iDevices. Perhaps use one of these as your off-site backup drive and it could double as an extra portable device if you wouldn't want to have that Mac with you in some situation?

Note that storing your photos in cloud storage options is meant to cover this base too. Pay up for iCloud storage beyond the free and upload a copy of your photo library there too. Then, you have your master copy on a Mac, a backup on an off-site hard drive and a full copy in the cloud too. Your phone could be reloaded with select photos from your Mac or on demand via iCloud download.

Solid info here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201302

5. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

You have a Mac, use it. Try Photos first (as other have suggested). If you insist on using Image Capture, that's easy too.

Just plug in the iPhone to the Mac (you might need to answer a dialog box or type in your passcode) and open Image Capture. Every photo on your Phone should show up in Image Capture. Select a destination folder and click Import.

Voila!

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

To answer this ancillary question:
    iCloud's Photos syncing service will do this, and you don't have to carry around anything else.

If you need a lot more space, pony up the 99 cents per month. It'll cost less over five years than any portable peripheral hardware setup you try to buy, and it'll be easier to use, too.

7. fred98tj macrumors 6502

Asssuming that you have the data allowance for this.

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I guess if the OP goes far enough off-grid, then Wifi wouldn't help, either.