Hobbies on a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ironman92, Oct 31, 2011.

1. ironman92 macrumors member

I wasn't sure where to post this? but do any of you guys use your macs for anything other than work? I used to animate spirtes and stuff, but I've kinda grown out of that and I'm finding it difficult to find something computer based to do on my mac other than coursework.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

This doesn't really belong in "basics and help", but personally ALL of my hobbies to one degree or another run through my Mac.

Aside from "messing with my computer" being a hobby for me, I build web pages, do photo editing and adjustment for display and hobby web sites, sort and index hobby food photos, write long-form prose (fiction and nonfiction), play a few online games, organize my DVD collection, download fansubs and watch anime on Hulu (I've got a Mac hooked to the living room TV), and read educational articles.

3. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Research various topics in Safari, write an article in Pages, create presentations in Keynote, create webpages in iWeb (soon to be an irrelevant application, so if you don't already use iWeb, I wouldn't start)... Many things to do with a Mac.

Other than the usual Mac uses, you could upgrade/improve certain parts and specs of your Mac if applicable. May seem geeky, but I enjoyed upgrading my machines. :)

4. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

In addition to actually doing your hobbies on your Mac (ie, photography, videos, music, etc...) you can use your Mac to help support your hobbies or track things related to your hobbies.

For example, if you collect something (stamps, coins, cards, etc...) you could use your Mac to list your collection, when you bought or sold items, how much you paid or sold items for, etc....so your using your Mac to help you manage your collection.

I typically use Excel spreadsheets to do this...there are other apps as well, can even be a text document, if you prefer....

Just a thought.....

5. jcuk macrumors member

I use my mac for the following:

Social networks

Frequent research on completely random topics, anything from building a company profile in my head to reading up on how aircraft engines work - I have a bit of thirst for knowledge.

Video consumption, I'm a huge fan of american TV shows and Movies.

Photos (iphoto) get edited and manipulated on my mac, I find it brilliant for this purpose

Music collection organisation

Reading macrumors!