Hobbies. What and how do you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GD0X, Jun 19, 2014.

1. GD0X Guest

So I'm a junior home from college... taking summer classes and looking into jobs.

However, during the spring semester (at school) I was concentrating on my studies and working; not really paying attention to my personal extra curriculars.

I'm fascinated by computers, on an electrical/mechanical level. I've built them, repaired them, and more but I'm beginning to look into logic gate mechanics. If I have the patience, money, and knowledge, I would love to build a 4/8 bit computer or a basic calculator at the very least.
    I'm also playing around with blender, and would like to get into techno/house music production if the desire hits me harder.

My problem though lies in two areas. My first conflict comes around in motivation. Although the interest is real, I often find it hard to motivate myself to get started initially. Once I get started, my work ethic pulls through carrying me to a decent level of satisfaction. My second problem is a play off of my first. Although my interest keeps me going for a while, I come to a mental dilemma. Do I skip over a concept that may challenge me but may not actually help me in the specifics I care to understand? As a continuation, if I do push through, when should I stop to keep myself inline and prevent myself from learning useless information? You may say learning more is a positive trait, I would agree, but as a realist I would like to think if I read something but cannot use it later in some sort of use, I will forget it. Nothing special.

So my questions:
    When and where do you find time for your hobbies (share them if you want), considering the addition of employments, family, etc.?
    How do you keep yourself motivated?
    & finally,
    When do you tell yourself to keep going on a subject or to try a new one?

Thanks,
    Jon

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I mostly do photography at the weekends. I work Monday to Friday and don't really have the time in the week. I go out either on a Saturday or Sunday. I find the time, motivation because I love it!

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Computers
    Photography
    Comic Book/Graphic Novels
    Reading
    RC Cars
    Mountain biking
    Beach cruising (biking)
    Drumming (in a band)
    creating music

Let's just say there isn't enough time in a day to do everything I want to do lol....

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Making espresso

Hobby ...or obsession...

You decide!:p

Also...classic films.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Geez. You and your coffee. You always have to find a way to interject that into every conversation.:mad: :rolleyes:

:p:D

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Just annoying as hell...isn't it!:eek:

But, for a change, it's actually on topic!

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Touché.

My hobbies are:

• Reading
    • Writing
    • Watching good films and TV shows
    • Dining out
    • And um... Er.... ☕

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Hoist on your own petard!:p

9. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

WOW! you must be some kind of superhuman... so many hobbies.

To the OP, one must wonder what constitutes a proper hobby, vs just fooling around with something you like every once in a while...

I guess some kind of serious commitment is involved - in terms of time, money, outcomes, etc.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If you like what you're doing, figure out how to make it work for you and don't stop trying. You only get what you settle for after all.

Obviously family and your job and get in the way of pursuing a hobby. I think you'll find that a lot of us creative folk stay up late/get up early for that reason (also because we can't sleep :rolleyes:). In my college, a lot of students tend to just get up and leave instead of using lab hours wisely - If you officially have three hours to spare, USE THEM. ;)

I personally think the whole "you're learning more than you need to know" is a myth, just like the saying that "the only thing you need to be worried about in college are the exams". But if you really have a concern about whether you should take a class or not, ask a teacher, because they're better than any college counselor in that respect.

I have been taking animation for the last few years now. What motivates me is the feedback I've been getting from teachers and peers. Sometimes you just need to get in a room with like-minded people.

As for my hobbies... Staying up late reading the internet (or just endless amounts of Wikipedia :D), drinking coffee, writing, and listening to music.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Dear oh dear, that question, which, when asked at a job interview ("And what do you like to do in your spare time?") always makes one shrivel up inside, (because, what can you say that does not sound like an attempt to appear 'normal', or suffocatingly, nauseatingly, caring?) or instead, struggle to smother or stifle the temptation to growl in response something on the lines of: "Strangle defenceless new born puppies."

On a more serious note, I love reading, and have done so for as long as I can remember; I am always reading - books, articles, newspapers, periodicals, twitter feeds (related to my other interests), and am passionate about history, politics, literature, political culture, science (and technology).

I also love to write, and enjoy the exercise of crafting articles, and letters. Emails, too. And yes, I am a published author, having written a well received history book over a decade ago.

Music is a love of mine, - and my tastes are very eclectic - although, unfortunately, I don't play any instrument, and, apart from guitar lessons as a teenager, never did.

Travelling - widely - is another hobby, interest and has become a large part of my work. Photography, and art interest me, and I enjoyed both a lot; at school, and university, I used to sketch and publish cartoons (invariably political) frequently in student periodicals, although I haven't done this for some time, now.

I like food, both the preparation and the eating, preferably in good company, and am a rather good cook when time permits. Coffee, (yes, again) and wine are also interests and sources of pleasure for me.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I guess my non working, down time is spent doing physical fitness and karate. I'm working close to my black belt at this point and most of my free time is either spent improving my physical conditioning or going over my karate material.

I'd also say using my Mac and spending time here is another hobby.

finally, I wanted to distinguish my running from my other physical activities because I go out of my way to run, and I do that apart from my karate training (though it helps with that). I've been running for many years - too many to count and I love it :D

13. malman89 macrumors 68000

Outside of work and school/studying...

Reading
    Hockey, playing and reffing
    Casual gaming
    Beer (rec) league softball

That and hanging with my friends keeps me pretty satisfied.

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

No superhuman.... trust me I wish I was. Not enough time in the day or night to do the things I love to do.

15. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

We can have beer as a hobby? I'm enjoying that one just now!

16. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

My hobbies have changed over years.

In middle school I was into video games (pretty intense), but by 10th grade I pretty much stopped all gaming. I then became interested in building computers and coding which consumed most of my free time until a few months ago. Now I'm playing guitar and I'm interested in various other instruments such as the cello, trumpet, and sitar. In addition, I'm starting to get into reading which opens up a whole new world. Much better than TV especially. Wish I realized that when I was younger, but better late than never I suppose.

17. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Mine's similar:
    • writing
    • reading
    • gaming
    • cooking (mostly BBQ grill and cooktop)
    Any links to your writing?

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Just blog writing really, on my website. Maybe someday I'll try a book....

19. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

You got me thinking. I used to really like working with wood. I need a coffee table and dining room table, so I might start that up again.

20. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Both my children discovered woodworking this summer. So far my boy has built a side table, a set of steps, a steps tool and a lot of wooden goblets.

21. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

Graduated 3 years ago. 24

I like
    -reading comic books - Batman and X-men
    - investing in the stock market - paid off school doing so
    - buying and selling on craigslist. Its fun and you get great deals
    - my GF/Fiancé
    - indoor soccer leagues prefer mixed leagues because the ones that are all guys you have dudes trying to break your legs reliving their HS days. It's like I don't want to be a fattie and needs to run a couple times a week. Don't make me have to elbow you in the face.

22. 960design macrumors 68030

You are my younger self!
    I run everyday, been a runner for over 35 years ( since I was 7 ).
    I have several black belts.
    I'm an expert marksman with bow, pistol and rifle.
    I'm trying to become proficient at sailing. It is very easy to sail, it is very hard to sail properly. :)

How do you stay motivated? I believe was a question. How do I stop doing the things I love would be more appropriate!

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I took up biking today. I went out, bought a decent one for $300, and road it around my neighborhood for half an hour.

...it kicked my ass.

24. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I know a guy who almost lost his leg because it was busted up so bad from an adult soccer league injury. Another friend fractured his skull. It can be very dangerous.

25. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Oh let’s see ...

While you’d think I get my fill of tech being a software dev/architect/writer, I still enjoy tinkering with stuff around the homestead, tweaking the A/V gear, fooling around with different hardware, home automation and whatnot.

I also like repairing and modifying things - so many electronics are so easily recovered from the grave with $2 worth of capacitors.

We live at the beach so I do quite a few beach type activities, er, I don’t know if just sitting drinking a cold one and zoning out qualifies as a hobbie :D

... but I (we) surf (mostly long board now), SUP, go boating pretty regularly, ride PWCs. Our little one is already standing on a board, won’t be long before she’s shredding it :cool:

We practice Bikram Yoga 2-3 times a week, love it, about the only time I turn off my brain and just focus on the now, get into a really introspective place, deep in my own head. We compliment yoga with weightlifting, bike, crossfit (we belong to a few different clubs/facilities). Years ago I was pretty engaged with a number of MA practices (Kenpo, Jujitsu) but now I just very occasionally hit up a Tai Chi class when it works out.

I run [car] track events a few times a year, at tracks around the South East: Roebling, Sebring, Road ATL (mostly), but have ventured south to Homestead-Miami, north to Summit Point. While I’m not as much of a fan of auto-X, I’ll run an event now and then when it’s close.

Most of the fine tuning on my car(s) I do myself, I enjoy wrenching and have done some semi-major projects (like a head/cam swap, aftermarket brakes, etc.)

We’re big fans of film, so we watch quite a few movies from classics, to new, all sorts of genres - also a decent amount of TV, mostly “cable shows” like GOT, Silicon Valley, still catching up on several series.

When we have some time, we’ll jump into a video game (we kind of dig on horror themed/survival type games, that are more story/puzzle driven vs. twitch games). I really enjoy playing games with our little one now that she’s 6, she’s a pretty solid competitor on Mario Kart :D (I seriously do not let her win anymore, she beats me fair and square!)

I knock around in the kitchen a good bit, we enjoy good food, and I enjoy cooking, experimentation (with food and beverage, especially coffee), I really enjoy beer and spend a decent amount of time shopping and researching different brews. One of our favorite pastimes (hobby?) is discovering a new restaurant and/or brewery, dropping the top on the convertible, and going for a nice long cruise, eat and drink.

Every so often I knock out a little blog article, a beer review, etc. :cool: