Hoiw do you change psword and username?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by adamman41, Oct 13, 2007.

1. adamman41 macrumors regular

i read that in another post that i hsould change my uswername ad password fro mroot and alpine but how do i do that? it says u ssh a command but i have no diea how to do that, a little help anyone thanks!

2. California King macrumors 65816

how did you get installer.app on your ipod in the first place? When I did mine, it showed me how to ssh

anyways, here's the command to ssh to your ipod:

(in terminal) for OS X...not sure for Windows. I think it's PuTTY or something
    ssh -l root your.ipods.ip.address

replace "your.ipods.ip.address" with your own ip address.
    then type alpine to login

i'm not sure how to change the password though. people were saying that it wasn't working or something.

3. adamman41 thread starter macrumors regular

im on windows, so i just plug in my ipod to my cpu, and bring up putty, login and type in whatever, i didnt know thats what ssh is called but am i right?

4. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

im not sure if you can change the username but to change the password log into putty with root/alpine
    and type in the command passwd and press enter
    then typen in the new password and hit enter, and verify you new password and hit enter

5. adamman41 thread starter macrumors regular

wehn i open up putty, it doesnt give me a login prompt...

6. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

did you enter in you ip address then hit enter, and a screen comes up with a black background? or did all of this happen but it gave you an error message?

you could try opening winscp then pressing CTRL+T to open a command box