Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Hey guys. I've been looking to buy a Canon Rebel XSi and am ready. The money is there, and I'll I'm waiting for is for me to get in my car and drive down to Best Buy or Circuit City. The question is: with all of the financial crisis and retailers being desperate to sell anything, should I wait? The camera just started shipping in August, so it is fairly new, which makes me doubt that the price will go down. Any ideas?

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
If you have the money and are sure it's the camera you want, go get it. That's exactly what I did with my XSi. Here's the thing: in my opinion, the XSi is actually being under-sold in relation to the XS. So, I don't see the XSi dropping in price for a long time as the MSRP is somewhere in the $700 range (with kit lens). I got mine for $629 with kit lens. Couldn't (and didn't want to) pass it up.

Good luck!

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
If you have the money and are sure it's the camera you want, go get it. That's exactly what I did with my XSi. Here's the thing: in my opinion, the XSi is actually being under-sold in relation to the XS. So, I don't see the XSi dropping in price for a long time as the MSRP is somewhere in the $700 range (with kit lens). I got mine for $629 with kit lens. Couldn't (and didn't want to) pass it up.

Good luck!

Where did you get it for $629 w/ kit?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Any ideas?

You can't take pictures with a camera you don't have. There will always be a better/cheaper model coming down the road, you can wait and take no pictures, or you can get it and enjoy it- trying to time the retail market is hit or miss and again, you can't take any pictures with it if it's still sitting in the store.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
You can't take pictures with a camera you don't have. There will always be a better/cheaper model coming down the road, you can wait and take no pictures, or you can get it and enjoy it- trying to time the retail market is hit or miss and again, you can't take any pictures with it if it's still sitting in the store.

Very good point.

Now the question is: how can I get Best Buy or Circuit City to price match Amazon?

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
The warranty should come from Canon. Surely you aren't referring to the in store add on warranty. Yuck.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
So I went for it. Managed to get 6th Ave to price match B&H. Walked away with the camera and am loving it so far. Going out for a shoot either tomorrow or Sunday. Thanks for the help guys.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Where did you get it for $629 w/ kit?

Apologies. It was $649 with IS kit from Amazon.

How much were you able to get yours for from 6th Ave.? And I hope you like the purchase, it's a fantastic camera (in my opinion; I'm sure those more knowledgeable have faults with it but oh well).

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Apologies. It was $649 with IS kit from Amazon.

How much were you able to get yours for from 6th Ave.? And I hope you like the purchase, it's a fantastic camera (in my opinion; I'm sure those more knowledgeable have faults with it but oh well).

I was able to get it for $669. Plus, I got a 4gb 20mb/s SD card from $100 to $30.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Noooo, you have to go out shooting tomorrow AND Sunday! :p

Congrats on the camera!

Ha. Thanks man.
Ya, but I decided to get the warranty. Even it takes forever. I'd rather have it
And not use it, then need it and not have it. Plus I got a free extra year to compensate manufactur warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.