Hold out for updated 15" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eyrepm, Oct 25, 2012.

  1. eyrepm macrumors newbie

    Oct 25, 2012
    could there be good reason to hold out for the next update of the 15" rMBPs? I hear things about heat, scroll lag, burn ins and such. I can hold out for a couple of months more, but what improvements could you realistically expect from Apple in a 6 month time frame?
  2. bwhli macrumors 6502a


    Jan 9, 2012
    Boston, MA
    All the problems you just listed (real or not) will probably be fixed. I personally haven't had any of the listed issues on my rMBP.
  3. MarcBook macrumors 6502a


    Jul 13, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I concur with bwhli. I've had absolutely no issues with my Mac.

    Regarding heat especially, it's actually far cooler than my old MacBook Pro and the fans have to spin up a lot less often (e.g. Skype video calls would make my old machine go nuts, whereas the fans don't spin up at all with my Retina).

    In my opinion, there's no reason to wait! A spec bump probably won't be coming for a while, since the new 13" model is using the same generation hardware and has only just been released.
  4. eyrepm thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 25, 2012
    Ok. Thank you! Because I guess the most important update spec-wise, would be the graphics card, because I heard about some fps issues. But it seems that that is the most far-off update, too. Well, I just might get one soon. :)
  5. Mr MM macrumors 65816

    Mr MM

    Jun 29, 2011
    there are some fps issues due to current EFI bug. Aside that Haswell wont bring a major improvement, I dont know what gpu will be there next year or even if nvidia aint going to just rebrand its midrange, much like they do every year.
  6. Aldaris macrumors 68000


    Sep 7, 2004
    Salt Lake
    I am thrilled with mine, granted I was coming form a late '08 Unibody MacBook Pro.

    I think it's safe to say its just about or a little less than half life at this point, and I don't really think there will be great gains with the next revision. However, if you need it now, great pick one up, if not feel free to wait possibly another 6 months. Keep in mind Apples not on a strict schedule, speculation of the 15" Air/Slim Pro were around a year ago with AppleInsider suggesting a holiday release, and then the next target was march... and eventually we got them in June... So, play some roulette.
  7. Queen6 macrumors 604


    Dec 11, 2008
    Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    If you can wait 6-8 months, if not buy now i have a 15" Retina and it is a fantastic machine
  8. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

    May 1, 2009
    The only worry with holding out is what screens will be installed on the machines going forward? It seems Apple is willing to tolerate a certain degree of image persistence, and all LGs seem to have that problem. So if Samsung won't be supplying the screens in the future, I wonder what implications that might have. This might be a case where its a good thing to buy now since you can complain enough to get a Samsung panel while they still exist.
  9. twietee macrumors 603


    Jan 24, 2012
    Exactly my thoughts and I'm still not sure to pull the trigger. Somehow I can't see myself working with Photoshop adjusting pixels and their colours while dealing with some 'special ghosting-layer'....man, that could have been the perfect laptop for me!
  10. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a


    Aug 2, 2007
    Screen issue is a good point, but eventually the retention issue will be solved on LG screens as well.

    I want my rMBP to last for a good long while (4-5 years) so I'm waiting for:

    Haswell (mostly for better integrated graphics)
    cheaper SSD - current pricing on Apple flash is just ludicrous

    Could see all of this by next August, if not it'll be the year after for sure. Whether or not it makes sens to wait depends on what you've already got. I just bought a 2011 cMBP-15 that will do fine until MY 2013-2014 rMBP-15 is ready!
  11. applebro macrumors regular


    Sep 8, 2012
    Can someone explain the logic behind 'waiting for the fixes' because I was under the impression if there was something wrong with your MBP you got 14 days to exchange it for another no questions asked. Also, you have a 3 year warranty with Applecare. My rMBP has some IR, but you cannot tell unless you look for it. Will I not be able to take it in for a repair when the 'fixes' come out? I'm sure I will be able to do so without any trouble.
  12. twietee macrumors 603


    Jan 24, 2012
    Me personally: I'd find myself kind of stupid buying something that expensive and quite possible running immediately to the next store for an exchange (and another one, and another one, tbc).

    That said, if I wouldn't be in the comfortable situation of not feeling any urge to buy now, I'd quite possible go 'your' route or would have bought one 15" cMBP AG refurb for an amazing price.
  13. Naimfan Suspended


    Jan 15, 2003

    The next revision will be faster, have more storage, and thus be less expensive relative to the current rMBP. It will also most likely be less problematic than the current rMBPs, which suffer from being the first generation, though it is to Apple's credit that there aren't too many problems with the first gen rMBPs.
  14. iPersian macrumors regular

    Oct 23, 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    hold off. the graphics in haswel is much better. the screen issues will maybe be fixed by then. ive returned two MBPrs and decided to wait for the next update which i dont think is later than early summer. hoping for april release.

    my current one is a MBP from 2006 :)
  15. djgcue macrumors member

    Aug 22, 2008
    I have a 2010 17" MBP, I was planning to get a rMBP, but decided to hold off for the some of the same reasons mentioned here...the flash is way too expensive and waiting for Haswell. I don't think I'll see a $2600 improvement over my 2010 model.
  16. golf1410 macrumors 6502a


    May 7, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Nope, they will say to you it is normal. That's why people go crazy about it. The actually problem is not about the screen. It is how Apple is handling the issue.
  17. bill-p macrumors 68000

    Jul 23, 2011
    I think it's simply this... you either get the machine now, get some use out of it, ignore the issues (if any) until the next refresh, then sell this back at a small loss and get the upgraded device (which may or may not fix the issues), or wait a whole year and not be able to experience the magic of Retina.

    I know which path I'd choose... since I stare at my screen every day... 7 days of the week.
  18. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

    Oct 12, 2011
    actually, that's not the case. you have 14 days to return the machine if you don't like it.
    image retention, on the other hand get worse over time. the longer you use it the more prominent image retention will be. just because you don't notice it in the first few weeks does not mean that it wouldn't start to develop, and it will continue to develop more and more.
    every apple employee handle issues differently, including individual store manager, some will give you an exchange or repair because it is under warranty, while some will give you a bogus statement that is within tolerance of our specification, and refuse to offer you the replacement or repair, and there is nothing you can do about it either.
  19. bobr1952 macrumors 68020


    Jan 21, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    I needed a new computer and I wanted this one, so I bought. So far it has been a fantastic machine. Like others have mentioned, I have not had any of the problems that seem so often mentioned here and in other forums. I am especially happy with the temperature as it runs cooler than my iMac when doing routine stuff--the only time the fans have ramped up is playing WoW.

Share This Page