Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Hi guys,

I just bought an iPad air and I've noticed that when I press and hold the volume down button the ipad instead of progressively turning down the volume, completely mutes the ipad and then I need to adjust using the volume up.

Is there a way to turn the behavior like ios 6?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Are you saying that simply pressing on the volume down button once (and letting go) goes all the way down to mute essentially? Or are you saying it happens if you press and hold the volume down button (which I believe has always been the case by design)?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Are you saying that simply pressing on the volume down button once (and letting go) goes all the way down to mute essentially? Or are you saying it happens if you press and hold the volume down button (which I believe has always been the case by design)?

if you push the button and hold it, it starts going increment by increment but then jumps to mute. ios assumes if youre holding it that long, you want it silent. its always been this way i think, nothing new.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
if you push the button and hold it, it starts going increment by increment but then jumps to mute. ios assumes if youre holding it that long, you want it silent. its always been this way i think, nothing new.

Yes, but this doesn't happen on my iPad 2 with ios6, it just incrementally goes down

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Happens on my iPad 1 with iOS 5.1.1 as well, nothing iOS 7-related.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
It has always been this way with the three iPads in my household on all iOS versions since iPad 1. I think that's why you can choose the "mute" button behavior and change it to lock screen rotation instead.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Yes, but this doesn't happen on my iPad 2 with ios6, it just incrementally goes down
what? no it doesn't.

ipad 1...press and hold, after 2 secs (or something like that) it goes to mute. Normal behavior.

The only options are to either go down to mute and work your way back up or press the button and let go each time until you get to the volume you want. Period. (I had iPad 1 until last month, so, I know what I am talking about. Same with my new iPad mini.)

Sorry, but, I am not buying that it does not happen with your iPad 2. This is the way it is. Period.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Holding down volume buttons mutes

what? no it doesn't.

ipad 1...press and hold, after 2 secs (or something like that) it goes to mute. Normal behavior.

The only options are to either go down to mute and work your way back up or press the button and let go each time until you get to the volume you want. Period. (I had iPad 1 until last month, so, I know what I am talking about. Same with my new iPad mini.)

Sorry, but, I am not buying that it does not happen with your iPad 2. This is the way it is. Period.

Well I wouldn't know if he's lying but if it does, his iPad 2 is defective.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It has always been this way with the three iPads in my household on all iOS versions since iPad 1. I think that's why you can choose the "mute" button behavior and change it to lock screen rotation instead.
Perhaps the behavior might be different on iPads depending on what the setting for the mute/rotation switch is set to.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Holding down volume buttons mutes

Perhaps the behavior might be different on iPads depending on what the setting for the mute/rotation switch is set to.

You might be right. I faintly remember that this might have been the case before. That is, if you make the button a mute button instead of a lock rotation button then holding volume down would not jump to mute. But I just tried it again on the iPad mini iOS 7 and it jumps to mute no matter what I set that slide button for. Maybe that's what happened to OP. He assigned mute to the slide button before. I've always set it to lock rotation precisely because I could jump to mute with the volume down button. So if I'm getting this right they did change it in iOS 7.

Last edited:

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
You might be right. I faintly remember that this might have been the case before. That is, if you make the button a mute button instead of a lock rotation button then holding volume down would not jump to mute. But I just tried it again on the iPad mini iOS 7 and it jumps to mute no matter what I set that slide button for. Maybe that's what happened to OP. He assigned mute to the slide button before. I've always set it to lock rotation precisely because I could jump to mute with the volume down button. So if I'm getting this right they did change it in iOS 7.

Nop, same behavior irregardless. I've created a video showing it:

http://youtu.be/Y02uiIzIhAI

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I've got the switch set to mute, and holding volume down mutes it (like a switch, not like a dial).

----------

Could there be a difference between wifi and 3G versions? Or different countries? Mine is wifi, EU...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.