Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
SO I have the 2018 iPP 12.9. I finally got the UAG case replaced, so it is a little better. But I have been taking it elsewhere a lot more ie Mother in hospital etc. I use Procreate a lot to draw, but I find it is hard to hold the 12.9 up in the air for very long. So today, I decided to take it out of the case to see how that was, and what a difference naked is.

But since I am taking this out and about, I am still concerned about having it protected. It is too difficult to take in and out of the UAG case. I was thinking of getting a ztotop folio case, in a protective sleeve. Then I can take it out when I am using it in my hand. But I am also wanting something to grip it better, like a ring etc. Is there any way of doing this? I use this iPP all the time, it is my laptop computer - so I do use it primarily on my desktop. I would need to buy a stand as well if I do this, I like it as vertical as possible.

The other option is I get a 11" cellular one as well. But I was impressed at how the 12.9 felt without a case.

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
I did order the ztotop case and a stand. I may try making a skin with my cricut machine for decoration. I was also thinking of trying a command hook.... I don't like a pop socket, it is too wide for my fingers. I may look at rings locally, not not sure how it would work with a folio case, on and off.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If you use it a lot holding it then 11 inch pro may be an ideal if you are ok with having two. I have the 12.9 and 11 and works really well with my usage.

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
the folio cases from apple work really well. Theres close to 100 magnets in the 2018 iPP for the folio cases, it's extremely easy to take it in and out of the case, and the magnets snap it perfectly in position every time. I'd def. recommend trying one at your local Apple store.

I own the Apple folio keyboard case and I love it (besides the price...)

Reactions: RogerKmilw

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
the folio cases from apple work really well. Theres close to 100 magnets in the 2018 iPP for the folio cases, it's extremely easy to take it in and out of the case, and the magnets snap it perfectly in position every time. I'd def. recommend trying one at your local Apple store.

I own the Apple folio keyboard case and I love it (besides the price...)

The price seems criminal to me!

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I would love to buy the Apple folio case, if only they offered it in nicer/more colours. I’ve just bought the FYY leather folio case in purple, but would rather have bought the Apple one.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I would love to buy the Apple folio case, if only they offered it in nicer/more colours. I’ve just bought the FYY leather folio case in purple, but would rather have bought the Apple one.

Apple's cases are a sad indicator of Tim's cheapness. For Apple prices you used to get leather or some other premium case. Now the quality is literally no better than a random knockoff. Tim knows people will pay $50 just for the logo on the packaging which goes straight in the bin anyway.

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
I have the ztotop coming today. I may just have to get an 11 in cellular. My arm is hurting quite a bit from holding it about 30 minutes.

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
SO the ZtoTop folio is not bad. But the reason I took back the apple one originally was because it only has 2 positions. I do like the Kabcon stand I bought it works great on the desk.

Yesterday while waiting for my daughter at PT, I tried working with the naked iPad, I could feel the strain in my shoulders. This morning, I experimented with rubber bands diagonally (like some holders I have seen). I noticed that if I put my hand in the middle, then it pulls my arm in (not natural position). I do think I might need something to help support it about 1/3 of the way over in landscape. Problem is, I want it to be removable, so I can easily put the folio case back on when I am not holding it.

Anyone trying to hold the 12.9" with one hand? I also have small hands.... I know that the 11" is about 6 ounces lighter (about the weight of iPhone X)....

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
SO the ZtoTop folio is not bad. But the reason I took back the apple one originally was because it only has 2 positions. I do like the Kabcon stand I bought it works great on the desk.

Yesterday while waiting for my daughter at PT, I tried working with the naked iPad, I could feel the strain in my shoulders. This morning, I experimented with rubber bands diagonally (like some holders I have seen). I noticed that if I put my hand in the middle, then it pulls my arm in (not natural position). I do think I might need something to help support it about 1/3 of the way over in landscape. Problem is, I want it to be removable, so I can easily put the folio case back on when I am not holding it.

Anyone trying to hold the 12.9" with one hand? I also have small hands.... I know that the 11" is about 6 ounces lighter (about the weight of iPhone X)....

What about something like this -

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Joylink-Degrees-Leather-Portable/dp/B01MQYLSGS

Reactions: Mike Boreham

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I’ve been carrying around the 12.9 since gen 1 in 2015. Took about two weeks to get used to it. I pretty much only use Apple “cases” or keyboard case. I even occasionally hold it in my hand while I’m walking around teaching. No issues. It’s still a smaller/lighter option than carrying around a MacBook Pro. People have been carrying around laptops for years with no issues. The iPad Pro is lighter, so no issues. The current gen made that even better.

Reactions: baypharm

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
Carrying around the pro is not the issue - it is holding it with one hand while using the pencil to draw on it. I bit the bullet and ordered the 11". My husband was asking about my 2015 12.9", he might want to play with it, but he is all android... LOL.

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
I got my 11" yesterday. I am playing with it now... I think I have it setup like I want. Now I need to get a case for it. I have a universal sleeve type case, but of course it won't stand up. It is so much easier to hold one handed.

Reactions: Frosties
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.