Holding Off Until Mid-January To Get An iMac

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
1,623
618
Great White North
I've been contemplating what 27" version I should get since the new iMacs were introduced. I do a lot of Final Cut Express editing and I was looking forward to getting the Core i7 version this month.

I currently have a 15" MBP (late 2007) and a 13" MBP Unibody, both with 4gigs of RAM, which are suitable for what I'm doing at the moment (HDV editing). And after a lot of thinking and researching, I found it to be beneficial to wait until the new year to get an iMac.

Hopefully by that time, some or all of the issues I'm hearing (slowdowns, yellow tint on the bottom of the screen, etc.) will be dealt with by Apple. Besides, Final Cut Express should be updated soon to take advantage of the 4+ cores.

What do you guys and gals think?
 

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
3,652
0
das Fort
It's all about need. If you don't need it now, don't get it.

Unless you're just dying to get something new. Then it's about want and all rationale is out the window.
 
Comment

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
332
0
If you're going to wait for the next year you might as well wait until the next refresh.
 
Comment

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
22,164
581
Finland
If you're going to wait for the next year you might as well wait until the next refresh.
Lol... Do you have any proof about next update and it's schedule? I doubt we will see any updates before mid 2010.

@OP: There's Black Friday coming (the day after Thanksgiving) and Apple gives discounts then so if you want to save a hundred or two, buy it then
 
Comment

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
1,623
618
Great White North
Lol... Do you have any proof about next update and it's schedule? I doubt we will see any updates before mid 2010.

@OP: There's Black Friday coming (the day after Thanksgiving) and Apple gives discounts then so if you want to save a hundred or two, buy it then
I agree, the iMacs have just been updated in October/November so in January, the new i7 should only be 2 months old then, too soon for an update.

Too bad we don't have Black Friday here in Canada (we have Boxing Day-Dec26th, which is somewhat similar) and Apple doesn't discount hardware that day.

I'm more of wanting one at this time and I will be needing a quad in the new year, once I get more stuff to edit.
 
Comment

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
332
0
Lol... Do you have any proof about next update and it's schedule? I doubt we will see any updates before mid 2010.

@OP: There's Black Friday coming (the day after Thanksgiving) and Apple gives discounts then so if you want to save a hundred or two, buy it then
iMac (Avg = 221 Days)
221 Days = approximately 7 months
7 months from release = April
April = Early-Mid 09

Lol... no need for a schedule when Apple's releases have been pretty much on point with Macumors buyers guide. I never said they were going to come out in January. But if you are clearly willing to wait at all then you are going to be able to wait a few more months.
 
Comment

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
1,623
618
Great White North
iMac (Avg = 221 Days)
221 Days = approximately 7 months
7 months from release = April
April = Early-Mid 09

Lol... no need for a schedule when Apple's releases have been pretty much on point with Macumors buyers guide. I never said they were going to come out in January. But if you are clearly willing to wait at all then you are going to be able to wait a few more months.
Hehe...I don't think I can wait that long, to me that'll be pushing it and no point for my thread. ;-)
 
Comment

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
272
2
London
Our OP isn't looking for the next rendition, rather a stable available version of the new (current iteration) quad cores (am I right?).
 
Comment

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
1,544
4
iMac (Avg = 221 Days)
221 Days = approximately 7 months
7 months from release = April
April = Early-Mid 09

Lol... no need for a schedule when Apple's releases have been pretty much on point with Macumors buyers guide. I never said they were going to come out in January. But if you are clearly willing to wait at all then you are going to be able to wait a few more months.
It was updated October 20, 2009. So 221 days (7 months) puts it at May 20, 2010 (end of May if you want to go 221 days). That is mid 2nd quarter 2010. That is a long time to wait imho.
 
Comment

crhudy1985

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
116
0
I would wait if you do not need the hardware right away. I am waiting until March to buy the 27". But that is mostly for monetary reasons. I am also hoping the base 27" might go down in price a bit but I will not hold my breath. :p
 
Comment

Shanpdx

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2008
2,452
283
Blazer town!
May/June 2010 should be right time for next upgrade based on 6 to 8 months iMac cycle and Core i3/5 CPUs should be available in plenty that time.
 
Comment

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
22,164
581
Finland
iMac (Avg = 221 Days)
221 Days = approximately 7 months
7 months from release = April
April = Early-Mid 09

Lol... no need for a schedule when Apple's releases have been pretty much on point with Macumors buyers guide. I never said they were going to come out in January. But if you are clearly willing to wait at all then you are going to be able to wait a few more months.
You really believe on MR's Buyer's Guide? It's just average of updates. Next update won't be as big as last one was, just upgraded specs likely.
 
Comment

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
332
0
You really believe on MR's Buyer's Guide? It's just average of updates. Next update won't be as big as last one was, just upgraded specs likely.
I never said it was going to be a major refresh. There is obviously no chance in hell that is going to happen.
 
Comment

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
272
2
London
Dear Ignatius,
you are such an optimist. I think there is a modicum of doubt due to the Core 2 Duo Flash hullabaloo!
 
Comment

XboxEvolved

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2004
241
0
Yeah Im waiting until Jan too..not just for them to iron out any issues, but because I won't have the money for it until then anyways so it all works out.
 
Comment

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
1,623
618
Great White North
Yeah Im waiting until Jan too..not just for them to iron out any issues, but because I won't have the money for it until then anyways so it all works out.
I'm also thinking being the holiday season, it would suck to have taken home a unit with dead pixels, etc. Imagine trying to return it amongst the throngs and throngs of holiday shoppers?
 
Comment

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
3,652
0
das Fort
Dear Ignatius,
you are such an optimist. I think there is a modicum of doubt due to the Core 2 Duo Flash hullabaloo!
While that's true, the quad cores are not Core 2 Duos, so any comparison between the two machines based on processor is, at best, premature and, at worst, outright nonsense.
 
Comment

psingh01

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
1,408
403
I agree, the iMacs have just been updated in October/November so in January, the new i7 should only be 2 months old then, too soon for an update.

Too bad we don't have Black Friday here in Canada (we have Boxing Day-Dec26th, which is somewhat similar) and Apple doesn't discount hardware that day.

I'm more of wanting one at this time and I will be needing a quad in the new year, once I get more stuff to edit.
You do have black Friday in Canada...as far as Apple is concerned anyway. They give everyone discounts on black Friday :)
 
Comment

yourashero

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2009
113
0
Won't iLife '10 be out late January as well. I'm not sure what upgrade costs will be if you buy now
 
Comment

Harpy007

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
191
0
@OP: There's Black Friday coming (the day after Thanksgiving) and Apple gives discounts then so if you want to save a hundred or two, buy it then
Do you remember some of the good deals apple had last year? Just curious
 
Comment

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
17,512
33
Singapore
I've been contemplating what 27" version I should get since the new iMacs were introduced. I do a lot of Final Cut Express editing and I was looking forward to getting the Core i7 version this month.


What do you guys and gals think?
i think, if you are going to wait until jan - you can wait until they update them in march. ;)
 
Comment

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
1,359
101
Houston, TX
i think, if you are going to wait until jan - you can wait until they update them in march. ;)
9 month rule says they probably won't update them until May-June 2010 when their entire like will be using Nehalem-derived chips. Hopefully by that point they will have resolved what GPU their going to use in the low-end, since there really isn't any point in moving back towards Intel graphics after spend 1.5 years complaining about how they suck so much (but they've done it before when the Mac Mini went Intel, it used to have an ATI card).
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.