Holding the Home button in 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skwoytek, May 27, 2009.

1. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Prior to iPhone OS 3.0 beta, pressing and holding the home button would force quit an application. This would also free up memory from Apple's background-capable applications like Safari and Mail.

Well, this method to force quit no longer works.

To force quit an application in 3.0, press and hold the sleep/wake button until the slide to power off screen appears, then press and hold the home button until the application quits (about six seconds).

The question is, what does Apple have planned for pressing and holding the home button in the final version on 3.0?

_

2. SAG3194 macrumors 6502

SAG3194

I was wondering the same thing as well. And sometimes my homebutton doesn't even work! I have to restart my device to get it working again

3. stupidm4n macrumors member

Maybe use home button with voice memos so you could hold it down to quote apps that are open,then maybe use it so you could record yourself singing while reading the lyrics from the iPod app

4. muledogus macrumors 6502

So now it's going to take 12 seconds to really close an application? Lame.

5. skwoytek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lame? I disagree.

I've always felt that "holding the home button" was wasted on force quit.

Perhaps 3.0 will better handle memory. The iPhone is supposed to close Mail or Safari when another application needs the memory, so to Apple there's no reason to force quit unless an application is actually stuck. I'd guess that over 75% of iPhone owners don't know about force quitting.

Better uses for push and hold with home button:
    1) Voice dialing (easier in car)...
    2) Leave an app open in the background...

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Agreed.

It's a shame that force quitting will take longer, but it will be worth it if holding the button is used for something I do every day instead of something I do once a week.

7. CanadianMac2008 macrumors member

You beat me to it I was just about to say Voice Dialing lol... that would make sense.

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I was watching a video on YouTube the other day that was giving tips on saving battery life. The guy was saying that he does the Force Quit every single time rather than just pushing the Home button to quit an application. Now that's just crazy talk!

9. bjquach macrumors 6502

I always thought that pressing the home button once just "minimizes" the application whereas the force quit really closes it.

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

That is true for Apple's apps (Safari, Mail, etc) ... Third party apps are required by Apple to fully close (within 2-3 seconds, IIRC) when the user presses Home.

11. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Interesting.

Maybe there's features in 3.0 that haven't been released. Perhaps holding down the home button will let you switch between applications instead of quitting out.

12. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

We finally know its voice controls. Well for the S at least.