Holding the iPad 2 and new iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacMane, Jul 9, 2012.

1. MacMane macrumors regular

Is it just me or does holding the 2nd gen ipad and the new iPad while laying down for a long period of time uncomfortable. I do not have a case, I use a smart cover, but the tapered edges sometimes make my hands fall asleep. I don't remember having this minor issue with the first gen iPad. I love that the iPad is super thin, but I am now thinking the tapered edges is more of a problem than benefit. Anybody else have a similar issue?

I am not complaining about the product, I've owned all gen iPads since the first and will continue to purchase upgraded versions.

2. charlieegan3, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

let me get this straight: "Your hands fall asleep"?

3. MacMane thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. Holding the new iPad while laying down on my bed makes my hands fall asleep. I do use it a lot while laying down for long periods of time, so I guess some uncomfortability is expected. Just wondered if anyone else was having similar problems.

4. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

A bit difficult to understand

And one more question to MacMane: Why do you think that it is because of the tapered edges that your "hands fall asleep"?

This is difficult for me to understand, and it would be fine if you could give a closer description of what constitutes the problem, or: How you experience your problem.

5. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Try no hands! I've got a beanbag stand for in bed, a small beanbag made for iPad, so laying on my side with iPad 2 propped in this is very comfortable. Using one hand only to operate screen and home button ... There's a space in the plastic ledge for the home button.

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

wouldnt it be due to the way you are laying? in order for a body part to fall asleep, you need to be cutting of circulation to that area. the new ipad weights 1.44 lbs...

are you a very active person?

7. -TYLER macrumors regular

You said it is because of the smart cover's edges, why not just take it off? It takes 2 seconds...

8. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Time for a sleeping beauty! :D

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

you have the best username on here FYI

10. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Thank you. :D

11. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I've had similar problem with iPhone, iPad and Kindle. I finally realized that the arms on the chair I was sitting in hit my elbows in exactly the wrong way. New chair, problem gone... It's not the device, it's the position you're in and the length of time you stay there. Move around a little more and it should pass.

12. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

It's impossible to use an iPad laying down in bed comfortably.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I have been doing it almost every night since the day the original iPad came out. I have no problem being "Comfortably Numb" without the numb.:D

14. snchpnz macrumors member

No it isnt, here's how I do it. I prop my head up with two pillows, rest the bottom of the ipad on my lower chest, hold it upright with my left had and write/scroll with my right.

15. lilsoccakid74 macrumors 6502

My brother and I both bought our first ipads when the 3rd gen arrived and both agree that it is a very uncomfortable device to hold, since the edges are very thin. I believe its a combination between the thin edges and the shear weight of the device, most people don't realize the weight of it until they pick one up.

There are many great cases that can help with this without adding much thickness.:)

16. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

My guess is you have early onset peripheral vascular disease or some signs of heart disease. Your hands shouldn't fall asleep while holding an iPad up. I really doubt that it's the shape of the iPad that's causing this. You diabetic by any chance?