Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R3k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Hi Guys.

How is the iPad pro to hold and use? Does it become uncomfortable after a while due to its size and weight? How about 1 handed?

Does it become awkward in hand after a while of laying on the couch surfing or sitting in bed reading a book? How about walking around and using it at the same time?

I have an iPad Air (gen 1) and am considering whether i should get the IPP or the upcoming 'iPad Air 3". No plans to use the pencil or keyboard at this point.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2010
After playing with the Pro, I feel it's too big to use in the same way I use an iPad on the couch and in bed holding it. It's a great work tool with the screen size and surprisingly it's lighter than I thought it'll be but its size and weight I feel would make it a bit awkward for how I use an iPad. If I was just starting school and knew I'd be in school for a number of years and want a great noting taking device that I can also use to hold all my books I'd be buying a pro.

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
for me its too thin and slick for its size. i dropped it on myself twice reading in bed. i got a silicon case, that helped allot with the grip. but its expensive. its light to me, no issues with weight. the size is great for drawing on, but for consumption i would prefer a smaller tablet. but everyone is different so YMMV.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Does it become uncomfortable after a while due to its size and weight?

A bit, but no more uncomfortable than holding a hard covered book.

How about 1 handed?

Hard to say, as I rarely use it one handed. I don't think I did that even with 9.7 iPads.

Does it become awkward in hand after a while of laying on the couch surfing or sitting in bed reading a book? How about walking around and using it at the same time?

For me, no. I love reading on the iPP on couch/bed. I also walk around the office with iPP in hand, showing documents to my co-workers, and tapping in quick notes by holding the iPP like a clipboard and typing one handed.

In sum, it's a bit harder to handle than the iPad Air, but not by much.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
No problems for me with using the iPP on the couch or in the bed. No real difference between it and my iPad Air...

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Hi Guys.

How is the iPad pro to hold and use? Does it become uncomfortable after a while due to its size and weight? How about 1 handed?

I have an iPad Air (gen 1) and am considering whether i should get the IPP or the upcoming 'iPad Air 3". No plans to use the pencil or keyboard at this point.

Thanks!
While I don't play games often, the ones I do enjoy involve holding the iPad in front of me to simulate driving. I tried it one evening with the IPP and it was tiresome, uncomfortable and clumbersome. I returned it the next day. Can't wait for the 9.7 because I sold my Air 2 and iPad 4.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
One handed it defines becomes uncomfortable a lot quicker than my Air 2 did. Though I have nerve damage so that has a big effect and other people will no doubt do better with it.

Regardless though, I've found that I've ended up holding it differently anyway. Where I'd normally just hold my Air by the edge. With the Pro I find myself putting my arm behind it, holding it by the opposite side and letting it rest on my forearm, I find that pretty comfortable.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
I don't use mine one-handed much, but it works alright (considering it's the same weight as the original iPad, I'd say it's not too heavy). I do use it as I did my Mini on the couch or in bed and it's no worse than that one was for me. It's certainly a bit more awkward given the size difference, my main issue is typing as it's just too wide for the two thumb typing I'm used to - but I have the keyboard for when I actually want to type something up with it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I always use my smart keyboard so I don't exactly hold it with two hands hardly ever. It's not too bad if there is no case which adds to the weight.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
One-handed ? How ? Without attached grip that sounds like a stress test for Apple Care.

Mostly on a iPad stand or resting on the legs/stomach; next week I know more ;-)

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I had a chance to hold it and play around with it. It was like holding a window... If I had to hold it one handed it would be with my hand open across the back, not holding it from the side.
I'm glad I didn't fall into the trap.. it's way too big for my tastes.

Reactions: baypharm

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
The iPad Pro is definitely not heavy but using it one-handed rapidly becomes uncomfortable. It's like a medium-sized book or a magazine: best used when being propped up on a surface or on your lap.

I also find the iPad Pro uncomfortable to use when I'm laying in bed. Not because it's heavy, but because the screen is too big so I have to move it farther away from my eyes. It's like sitting too close from a TV. I prefer watching videos in bed on my iPhone 6 Plus.

Reactions: baypharm

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
At first, the iPad Pro was a bit awkward for me when walking or moving. It didn't take long before it became routine. I love it. I got on my iPad 4th Generation yesterday, and now it feels small and awkward to me. Splitting the screen is great, too. I also love not having to leave an app to handle an incoming text.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
None of the iPads work well in pure one handed use. However if I had to choose, I'd pick the iPad mini 4.

Generally you'll want to use your iPads with 2 hands regardless. The 12.9" iPad pro is much better off used when resting on something. Unless they somehow manage to make it weigh the same as the iPad Air 2 without compromising anything.

R3k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
I mean holding in one hand while using it with the other, not using it with one hand tied behind my back. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.