"Holdster" Universal fit, Quick-Access Holster by Speck

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by zizo79, Sep 29, 2010.

1. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

Hey Guys,
    I am not sure if this was posted but I have been looking for a holster for my Candyshell and Slider for a long time but I just came across this universal holster by Speck for $29.95 but I am not sure if it is worth $30. What are your thoughts ?

Link: http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone/iphone-4/holdster.html

Attached Files:

2. Lolento macrumors newbie

3. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

4. zizo79 thread starter macrumors 6502a

zizo79

I was wondering about the same thing...:confused:

5. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

haha....i guess RnD department forgot to give us access to our phone once its in..

6. scarboy6693 macrumors 6502

Its spring loaded, so it widens to put the phone it and contracts to lock into place

7. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

8. zizo79 thread starter macrumors 6502a

zizo79

Please let us know how it is once you get it. Thanks

9. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Larry always coming through for us... I wanted to order one but I'll wait for the Greenberg review for a final verdict.

10. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

Arrived earlier today.

Works pretty much as you'd expect. Not easy to get iPhone in and out but by no means impossible. Once in though it's very secure. No way it's falling out.

And what's great is it works with every case you own.

I'll get a video up about it soon.

11. zizo79 thread starter macrumors 6502a

zizo79

Thanks a lot

12. Lolento macrumors newbie

13. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Good question.

14. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

There a list of dimensions as to exactly what fits on the Speck web site.

But I can tell you the naked iPhone feels to loose in it. I think it's made to be used in conjunction with a case.

15. Lolento macrumors newbie

That Speck would be wrong to advertise that it would fit an iPod....cuz if it doesn't fit a naked iPhone snug, I dont understand how it would even hold and iPod.

16. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Hi Larry have you tested it on your belt and how fast you can get it out when receiving a call?

It appears that when you want to get it out you can just slide the spring action against the leverage of your belt to get it out easily?

Marc

17. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

I got two or three calls today while my phone was in it and there was no issue getting it out. I do find I need to use two hands to do so though. One to hold the phone and the other to pull the holster apart. Speck says it can be done one handed but I haven't been able to do so yet b

18. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Larry on another note... You and I are from the same area. I met Mike from clear-coat recently. What's your take on clear-coat compared to the likes of Zagg?

Marc

19. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

I can't stand Zagg.

1. Impossible to get off the backing.
    2. Too much orange peal effect.
    3. Clear Coat gives you 2 skins in each pack.
    4. Clear Coat guarantee includes install mess ups.
    5. Clear Coat is optically clear.

20. mpossoff macrumors 68020

So of all the full body protection on the market right now, do you recommend clear-coat or is there another you highly recommend that we can check out?

Marc

21. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

I use the Seidio holsters that are easy to operate with one hand.

This design looks interesting, but not practical if it takes two hands.

I assume the spring mechanism is totight? While on your belt, if you grab the phone and push down, will that work to get it out with one hand? Is the smaller part that moves up or down when you have it on horizontally?

Excellent video, but maybe attach it to the edge of a box or something like that and show us the one handed mechanism (or lack thereof).

Thanks!

22. mdecker79 macrumors member

I just got this in the mail and here is my short review....

I got this holster because I couldn’t find one that fit what I needed. This holster looks very strong in the pictures but once I got it in my hands I thought otherwise. You can only turn the belt clip 180 deg’s and since I like to wear it on my right side this doesn’t work correctly with the way the holster opens. If I wear it on my right side I need to put the top of the phone in and push UP to open the holster and then put the bottom in and let it close. But if I were to wear this on my left side the action is bottom in push down to open the holster and then let it close. I feel this is much more natural but you can't do this if you wear your phone on the right side. That being said with me trying to wear it on my right side it would be OK if the inside of the clip hooked onto my belt at the bottom. Some of the other holsters or clips have a little hook on the inside of the clip so if you lift it up it actually hooks onto your belt so it won’t fall off. This clip has this little piece of plastic at the bottom and since the clip is so overly cheap it won’t even stay on my belt. I just have to give it a slight tug and I can pull it right off my belt.

The actually clip itself looks/feels so overly cheap and I’m going to break it I’m sure in a few weeks.

Having it on my left side I’ve already noticed that I have separated part of the holster where it springs open and this is after two days of wearing it.

Over all…. For $30 I feel this is a VERY cheaply made holster.

I hope this helps.

23. gnychis macrumors 6502

24. Lolento macrumors newbie

Can someone take a video of this thing holding a naked iPhone or an iPod touch? I like to know how loose it is. Thanks!