Holiday Extended Return Period Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pento, Jan 5, 2017.

1. pento macrumors member

Hi there,

I pre-ordered a spiffy new 15" tbMBP at the end of October, and of course it didn't arrive until the end of November. I naively thought that my order fell under the holiday extended return period since I didn't actually receive the unit until late November. Oops. I was wrong. At least according to Apple's website. It only applies to orders received November 10th and later.

So, the deal is my return key is mushy, and lacks any feedback like the rest of the keys. I'm sort of dreading the idea of someone opening up a virtually brand new computer and repairing it. I think I'd prefer to just return it and re-order at a later date. It's a CTO, so I don't think they'll just have a replacement readily available in the store.

Anyone else do this? Any idea if Apple honors the straight up return if you take it to an Apple store? The online chat person couldn't answer the question, but did schedule an appointment for me. Of course it's not until January 10th.

Thanks for any help!

2. Redirected macrumors member

Redirected

I guess you have till Jan 8 for return. I had the same situation.

I went into the store without any appointments. You can ask anyone in apple store and they will do the return for you without any questions.

3. fs454 macrumors 65816

This JUST happened to me today. My N-key went mushy and unresponsive on the bottom side of and apparently as of today I had 3 days remaining in my holiday return period (purchased late october the second it was avail, received late Nov). I think it's January 8 for all purchases made during the holidays.

I took it in, and they wanted to send it out for replacement and I told them hell no, process the return as I'm still entitled to it. They helped me find an in stock 2.9/1TB/460 Space Grey model about 30 miles away, so I went to that store and did an exchange. They stock a few varying configs in the store that aren't the pre-listed specs tiers on the website, but you can only inquire about this stock in person at a store. There, the store can tell you other stores' stock too. They do process online order returns in-store.

Just go in without the appointment and talk to the express guy at the side of the genius bar before your return date, say you want to see if this config is in stock (If it's a 2.9/1TB/460, don't say "CTO", just ask if your specific spec is in stock and let them look it up). Or see if you can get an appointment at another store before the 8th. Either way, it's doable but iffy if you go past that date. They'll want you to send it off.

If all else fails with the appointment thing, just do a walk in and expect to go shopping nearby the store for about 2 hours - they send you a push notification when they've got an opening. I was able to finagle my way today into getting a genius to invest their time into it as they overheard me saying I'm going to return the defective laptop for a new one.

4. pento thread starter macrumors member

Wow, thanks to both of you for the super fast responses. This makes me feel a bit better. My CTO was the 2.9GHz/16TB/460/512GB/Space Grey model. Because it has the 512GB, rather than 1TB or 2TB, I'm doubting they'll have it in stock anywhere for a 1-1 swap out. I'm not sure if they let you just pay the difference or not, so I'll probably end up returning.

Thanks again!

5. fs454 macrumors 65816

Anytime! Let them figure that out for you - I think they can let you pay the difference. They also may offer to order your config to the store and allow you to keep yours until it shows up, then they'll facilitate the swap. That was offered to me at the first replacement, at least.

6. seabee3 macrumors newbie

I am returning mine for a different model tomorrow. I ordered on the 28th and received it on the 15th of November. Apple said that is what the "order received" part refers to so you are good!

7. brojan macrumors member

All the new MBPs are included in the holiday return period I recall.