Holiday in New York- best/cheapest place to buy apple watch s2?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by will0407, Dec 4, 2016.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I will be going to New York (from the UK) for 5 days from 19 Dec. Is there anywhere likely to be selling the apple watch series 2 at a discounted price? With the current exchange rate the rrp doesnt work out much cheaper in the US than the UK once sales tax is added so if there isnt anywhere that I'll be able to save a little extra then I may just buy in the UK. I can ship items to my hotel if there are online retailers that are cheaper

2. cmbauer macrumors regular

cmbauer

I cant imagine there will be any deals on series2 watches. Maybe target may have a gift card or best buy may have a sale on the series 1. I would be shocked to see any big sales.

But I have been wrong before, ask my first xwife

3. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

4. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I have not see any deals from the large reputable stores. You might be able to find a used one on Craigslist or you can score an "open box" Watch from Best Buy if they have them. If the open box at BB is in excellent condition with all of the accessories, it will normally be 10% off the selling price. I got my SB SS S2 for $550 the day before Thanksgiving.

5. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha ok thanks for the tip
    --- Post Merged, Dec 5, 2016 ---
    Thanks, I did consider craigslist or ebay but given how long (or short!) I am there for, I figured it was only a slim chance I'd find one in time

6. magicnigel macrumors newbie

One thing to note is that if you buy your Apple Watch in the states rather than in the U.K. You will only be covered for one year warranty. In the EU all products are covered by a 2 year manufacturing warranty so if anything fails due to a defect that could be there from purchase then it's covered, like a minimal free Apple care.

If you intend on buying Apple care for your watch then try and buy it abroad, with the pound as low as it is, pull end up with a Watch and Apple care for about £20 less than just buying a watch in the U.K.

7. macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

B&H Photo seems to always give gift cards or has some kind of promotions. They are a great company bought from for many years.

8. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

You say New York and I'm assuming New York City. Sales Tax in NYC is 8.875%, but portions of that percentage go to different entities.

I think NYC gets 4.5%, New York State gets 4%, and the transportation department gets a small cut.

Ultimately, if you can take a day trip out of the city (or if you're visiting the state), you might be able to save 4.5% by not buying in NYC. Also, if you can get to New Hampshire, they don't have sales tax at all, but depending on where you're visiting, that might be a real long drive.

9. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'm starting to think ebay in the UK is likely to be the best bet for one. I'll keep a look out because as others have suggested, the savings seem like they're going to be minimal buying abroad due to the pound's weakness.

10. macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

If you know someone in NJ or CT you can ship there and avoid sales tax.

11. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

save the hassle - go look on amazon uk or even on gumtree and buy a sealed one. just make sure the seller is legit (you can see how long ago they created their online account) and whether they're happy to meet in person and test it all out..

12. abdulkar.im macrumors 65816

abdulkar.im

Or even Shpock, I used that to sell my Series 0 SS SLB.

13. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, never been on there but managed to find the one I'm after so have sent the seller a message. I should have just pulled the trigger on one last week which was within a few miles of me but couldn't decide which model I wanted

14. abdulkar.im macrumors 65816

abdulkar.im

Awesome!