Hollow Stars in iTunes 7?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by subwarm, Dec 28, 2007.

1. subwarm macrumors member

subwarm

Hey everyone,

I came across this video on Apple's site. http://www.apple.com/itunes/tutorials/?sr=hotnews#explore

It's a basic video tutorial for iTunes (interestingly enough they reference it as exploring the Jukebox).

About a third of the way through there is a screenshot that shows ratings in a different color star. I've never seen this before, anyone know what that is? New kind of rating system?

Screenshot:

[​IMG]

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I've found that if you rate a few songs out of an album iTunes will use those hollow stars to signal what your average rating might be for the rest of the album.

3. ickybus macrumors newbie

ickybus

Is there a way to turn it off? I don't like it

4. mconk macrumors 6502

mconk

This is EXTREMELY annoying in my case, because I use Smart Playlists which involve the song rating as part of the playlists criteria...Ive rated some songs from an album at 5 stars, and just recently the rest of the album was rater 5 stars, therefore adding the entire album now to my smart playlist.

The problem is, I cannot change the 5 star rating unless I do a batch change 1-4 stars. If I change them to 0 stars, they automatically revert to the 5 hollow stars and re-add themselves to my smart playlist. If I do a batch change to star them at 1-4, they will remove themselves from the smart playlist...Which is the only workaround I have come across.

5. hoyla macrumors newbie

Remove album ratings

You can remove an album rating by searching for the album while in grid view, then double clicking it so you see the album cover on the left and the track listings on the right. Remove the star rating from the album (on the left), and all the "hollow stars" will disappear from the track listings.

6. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Way to bump a dead thread! ( Handclaps )