Holster + Skin

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mescalito, Aug 30, 2008.

1. mescalito macrumors newbie

I need a case for my phone. I want something like a skin, to protect it from scratches and short falls (3-5 feet). I also want a holster, 'cause I hate digging into my pocket every time I get an e-mail or text, e.g. I want my phone to be quickly and easily accessible from my side.

So far I've found only one candidate: The Seidio Innocase Surface Combo.

I haven't been able to find any reviews for this.

Does anyone have any experience with Seidio products?

Is anyone else looking for the same solution as me? That is, a (thin) protective case that wraps/snaps on, in combination with a holster?

Or any other random thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

:cool:

2. mescalito thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Not sure if you care about branding, but I am using a Speck Pixel Skin for Protection.

But I, like you, am not fond of having it in my pocket.

And I tried a TON of different holsters, but since the Speck case is kind of a thick rubber, a lot of the Holsters were far too tight.

So I took a flier on a Leather Holster that is designed for the Motorola Q.

Despite having the "wrong logo" on the case, I have been very happy with how the phone in the Speck skin fits into it and comes out of it.

4. Bzump macrumors newbie

The seidio inocase and holster are by far the best i have ever owned and i have gone through a bunch since i got my first iphone in June of 2007. Just got it in 2 days ago and i love it. I strongly recommend this product.

5. Macsta macrumors member

Macsta

I agree 100% I have this case also, it is the best skin/holster combo, I like it so much I bought more the one in different colors :D

6. boneca macrumors 6502

Recently, a week ago I bought the Contour Showcase case for iPhone 3G, it was the only one that I could find at the time. I waited for about a month before it was released.
    Here's the link: http://www.contourcase.com/showcase/showcaseiphone3g/
    Anyway I used it for about a week and it's OK case, not perfect not bad.

Long story short after reading this post yesterday I decided to return Showcase and get this combo instead :)

The showcase was missing the "easy-dock" part and it was kinda hard to remove to put in the dock.

I also probably will order in car kit from the same place when it becomes available...

7. docprego macrumors 65816

I too am very interested in the Seidio Innocase and holster combo for the 3G. I have some questions their site does not answer and I am hoping you can:

1-Does the case cover the chrome on the front of the iPhone? Their pictures seem to hint that it does not completely. If it does not totally cover the chrome do you foresee this being an issue with potential scratching?

2-Similar question about the Apple logo on the rear, any possibiliy of this scratching or is it so recessed (as their photos seem to show) that it is a non issue?

3-They say the Innocase is lined with soft felt on the interior. Does this lining cover the entire interior including the parts that are sliding against the phone as you place the phone in the case or removing the docking piece? Or is it only the rear of the case that contacts the back of the phone that is lined?

4-How does the removable docking piece on the bottom function? Is it easy to remove and place back on? Again is it felt lined?

5-What color did you get, I am leaning towards black.

6-Finally can you post detailed pics of the case and holster?

Thank you very much.

Also I found another very similar case/holster combination that looks really good. It has some features the Seidio does not like integrated stand and Italian leather outer layer. But it also lacks a few things the Seidio has like the removable docking piece and the spring clip.

In black:

http://www.fommy.com/view-full-page.asp?divid=Apple&model=iPhone 3G&skuno=81517

In red:
    http://www.fommy.com/view-full-page.asp?divid=Apple&model=iPhone 3G&skuno=81518

Both cases are $49.95 for the combo, can't be coincidence. They must directly view themselves as competing products and I would agree.

8. Macsta macrumors member

Macsta

1, almost all the chrome is covered, just the inner edge is visible so I don't see it as a problem

2, no the logo will not get scratched, the case is felt lined

3, just the back is lined, but the case is rubberized so scratching should not be a problem

4, it is not hard once you get used to it, and no it is not lined, but is rubberized like the top

5, blue and red, as I already had a black case

6, sorry don't have any pics :(

9. docprego macrumors 65816

Thanks for the information. Being that it is not lined, are you having any issue at all with the removable docking piece scratching the phone from slipping it on and off?

Blue and red? Not to be a wise guy but you mean the burgundy and the sapphire blue, correct?

Lastly are you pleased with the cut of the case, meaning everything is perfectly placed?

10. Macsta macrumors member

Macsta

no scratches so far, but I take mine apart and clean the phone quite often so nothing can accumulate behind the case

yes you are correct burgundy and sapphire ;)

yes everything fits fine all the opening are where the should be and line up well

11. mescalito thread starter macrumors newbie

Went with the Seidio Combo

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful info!

I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger and order the Seidio Innocase + Holster Combo (Black).

It arrives Friday (9/5/08). I will share my impressions and post detailed photos for those interested.

:rolleyes:

12. docprego macrumors 65816

Excellent, looking very much forward to your impressions and photos.

13. mescalito thread starter macrumors newbie

First Impressions (+pics)

The case arrived yesterday and I must say it is better than I thought it would be.

First of all, the case is a very snug fit. And I love the way it feels in my hands – so smooth.

While there is a circular cutout on the back of the case to let the Apple logo :apple: show through, I prefer a more inconspicuous appearance when wearing it out on my side. So I put a small square piece of black electrical tape directly on the silver apple, and then put the case on over it. Does the trick wonderfully.

As for the holster, it is sturdy, solid, and secure. And most importantly, it is quick and effortless to remove the phone from the holster. Putting it back is even easier–it snaps right into place. And I can wear it however I want: left side, right side; vertical, horizontal.

Plus, the inside of the holster is lined with felt so the screen won't get scratched.

Overall I am very satisfied so far.

Photos

14. docprego macrumors 65816

Thank you for that great review and photos. Have you tried using the docking function yet? I am wondering if the lower case piece slides on and off effortlessly so that scratching not a concern? I was surprised and happy to see that they lined the upper and bottom piece with felt on the interior. That gray material is felt, correct? Also you got the ash gray, correct?

Thanks again.

15. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

I'm happy with the Power Support Anti-Glare for the screen and Air Jacket for the back:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/power-support-air-jacket-for-iphone/

This setup fits inside the PDAir horizontal leather holster:

http://www.pdair.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=10300000_2000000_11000283&products_id=7804

After an extensive search, I could not come up with a more streamlined, understated and classy combo (in addition to a brushed metal bezel: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=332434&highlight=brushed+bezel).

16. mescalito thread starter macrumors newbie

docprego:

I don't have a dock, so I don't know. I just plug the cable into the bottom, which is no problem with the case (and holster) on.

Sliding the bottom piece on and off hasn't caused any scratches so far, and I don't anticipate it being a problem.

Yes, that material is felt, and it's actually white. I know the photos aren't very good – my only camera is my iPhone.

No, I did not get the ash grey. This is actually the black case. (Poor photos – sorry!)

I like this case/holster a lot. :)

17. boneca macrumors 6502

I got mine seidio case and holster on friday as well. What can I say, so far I love it. This is case number 4 for me, and I think this is finally a keeper. I do use dock and it's very easy to remove the bottom portion of the case (no pressure, no scratches), overall case feels very good.

The only "problem" I had is when I put the case on the first time its kinda screw up my crystal clear film I had on, but probably because I had the film a little to the side (I had to use another one) and now it's perfect.

Another interesting point for seidio company is: I also ordered Audio/Mic adapter and they send me wrong item, I called them and they told me to take a picture of the adapter I received using my iPhone and send email to them, so they can send me the right adapter right away :)

My previous cases were:
    1. Contour Hard Skin - will sale on eBay or Greg's list
    2. Marware C.E.O. Premier - will sale on eBay or Greg's list
    3. Contour Showcase - already send back for refund.

Now I'm waiting on Innotraveler Car Kit to become available from seidio so I can be all set with accessories :)

I forgot to mention that I also have a Belkin Armband that I use to go to gym (on my on call weeks) I actually end up getting one for iTouch as I couldn't find one for iPhone in store and I had to have one on the same day. It works pretty good and I would recommend this armband to anyone how's looking!

18. boneca macrumors 6502

FYI - The Innotraveler Car Kit became available from seidio.

I placed an order and also ordered another case in Burgundy :D