Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tedhogan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I've been accessing MobileMe from a temporary work location where I'm stuck using Firefox 2 or IE7. Wow... it is the slowest email platform I have ever used in my life. It's to the point of being almost unuseable. Yahoo! Beta email is a lot faster. (that, in and of itself, is amazing!)

I know IE7 isn't supported, but I can't find the requirements page, so who knows if Firefox 2 is.

Is Safari just as slow on a not so great internet connection?

I usually use Safari on Mac and it's fine with the broadband I have at home.

Damn, after putting up with .Mac for years I was really looking forward to MobileMe. I'm beginning to think it's hopeless. As it is now, I will not renew for another year. I can get bookmark syncing and file sharing elsewhere.

I'd rather have a bare bones system that works than nice eye candy that doesn't. Push and a bare bones interface would have been a better battle plan.

tedhogan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Hmmm.. interesting.... well, it's the first time I've tried it outside of my Macs and Safari...

It is that slow here. You wouldn't beleive how slow it is....

Websites in general come up a little sluggish, but I can run gmail fine...

I know I'm on a slow link. But, my Lord.... it's like... click a button... switch to another browser and surf cnn while I wait for the message to load.... that slow...

Maybe they need to have a scaled down mode for bare bones, text only access of something. I can't be the only one experiencing this. I'd hate to see how it would be via satellite internet in the middle east... oh man... it probably wouldn't even load.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
I agree that the calendar via web access is slow. I've tried Safari, Firefix and IE and they're all bad. Click ... Wait... And some more ... Action. Writing emails isn't too bad, just doing anything in Calendar for me.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
im more and more curious about how apple wrote the pages. whats so significantly differnt from google or yahoo that need so much time to load...

tedhogan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I don't know for sure, but let me try to guess...

I think it is probably because Google (2.0 Yahoo is slow as well) has taken the time to hand craft their applications for most browsers whereas Apple has taken the route of using a pre-built framework that automates a great deal of the dirty details which does not allow them to optimize the site for multiple browsers.

You can really tell the difference. I think that if they spent a little more time optimizing that framework in order to reduce the overhead required of the browser it would pay off. But, they are awaiting the new javascript engine that boosts performance instead. What they fail to realize is that these older browsers are not going away any time soon and a company's failure to support them will be seen as a failure by the public.

Google has done something very rare, it has crafted 2.0 web apps that can run on very different browsing environments exceedingly well. It's a lot more difficult than people realize. Apple just doesn't have that level of expertise yet. Heck, look at Microsoft. They've had blunder after blunder online and they have vast resources and experience. I guess I was just hoping to see Apple emerge as a viable online player. Maybe they still will. As long as they don't give up like they did on .Mac, this thing still has a good chance. It's going to take a great deal more work though.

Maybe an Apple/Google partnership would make sense... can you imagine? Apple's design and Google's online engineering? Wow.

im more and more curious about how apple wrote the pages. whats so significantly differnt from google or yahoo that need so much time to load...

mike12806

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Boston, MA
I'm seeing like two hour delays on emails pushed from MobileMe to my iphone 3G, anyone else seeing delays tonight? My email has been fine since the start, so I don't think I was part of that 1%.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I don't know for sure, but let me try to guess...

I think it is probably because Google (2.0 Yahoo is slow as well) has taken the time to hand craft their applications for most browsers whereas Apple has taken the route of using a pre-built framework that automates a great deal of the dirty details which does not allow them to optimize the site for multiple browsers.

You can really tell the difference. I think that if they spent a little more time optimizing that framework in order to reduce the overhead required of the browser it would pay off. But, they are awaiting the new javascript engine that boosts performance instead. What they fail to realize is that these older browsers are not going away any time soon and a company's failure to support them will be seen as a failure by the public.

Google has done something very rare, it has crafted 2.0 web apps that can run on very different browsing environments exceedingly well. It's a lot more difficult than people realize. Apple just doesn't have that level of expertise yet. Heck, look at Microsoft. They've had blunder after blunder online and they have vast resources and experience. I guess I was just hoping to see Apple emerge as a viable online player. Maybe they still will. As long as they don't give up like they did on .Mac, this thing still has a good chance. It's going to take a great deal more work though.

Maybe an Apple/Google partnership would make sense... can you imagine? Apple's design and Google's online engineering? Wow.
IDK, Im not sure apple is that incapable in this area. New JS engine? no, so-called new engine only improve JS speed by less than 1ms, that couldn't be possibly the explanation for seconds of delay.

Thats what's interesting, I just can't think of any logic behind this, technology has been there for years, exactly how could apple be so incapable? Its just strange.

I did noticed that any website made with iWeb are painfully slow, even in safari. IDK, maybe apple really is that bad in writing webpages...

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Before I upgraded to Firefox 3.0.1 on both my Macs and PC, MobileMe was too slow to be usable. Since the upgrade, it is tolerable, though still not as fast as Yahoo's Email page.

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006
It is slow as an old dog for me most of the time. Occasionally it will show a snappy response, but more often than not it takes forever or hangs. This is across multiple PCs/laptops w/multiple OSes and browsers.

MobileMe is slow.

tedhogan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Hmmm...

iWeb is the coolest little web page creating app that I can't use. It's created pages are so painfully, unbelieveably slow as to be utterly useless. I simply can't comprehend how anyone in their right mind could chalk iWeb/.mac up as anything but an embarrassment. I have tried and tried to use websites hosted on .mac and created by iWeb to no avail. I found that using a web optimizing software called Maestro, the pages load speed improved a lot. But still... painful on .mac. I finally ended up using Maestro to optimize and hosted the pages on my own 3rd party web host which BLEW .mac away.

Yes, I think they need to hire talent in order to produce real web apps and manage servers. I wonder if their web servers are hosted on OS X or Linux.... I'd personally use Linux, but that's just me....

I managed to get Firefox 3.1 running and it was a big improvement. Unfortunately, I can't install flash for it (need admin access). ARGH!!!!!! Damn adobe! Why can't they jsut make a normal plugin like everyone else?

Oh well...

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Hmmm...

iWeb is the coolest little web page creating app that I can't use. It's created pages are so painfully, unbelieveably slow as to be utterly useless. I simply can't comprehend how anyone in their right mind could chalk iWeb/.mac up as anything but an embarrassment. I have tried and tried to use websites hosted on .mac and created by iWeb to no avail. I found that using a web optimizing software called Maestro, the pages load speed improved a lot. But still... painful on .mac. I finally ended up using Maestro to optimize and hosted the pages on my own 3rd party web host which BLEW .mac away.

Yes, I think they need to hire talent in order to produce real web apps and manage servers. I wonder if their web servers are hosted on OS X or Linux.... I'd personally use Linux, but that's just me....

I managed to get Firefox 3.1 running and it was a big improvement. Unfortunately, I can't install flash for it (need admin access). ARGH!!!!!! Damn adobe! Why can't they jsut make a normal plugin like everyone else?

Oh well...

Wow, you certainly make it sound pretty bad. Could you please gives us a demo of how your iWeb is behaving or how websites you created are acting slow? You can show us by using this software called iShowU. It will allow you to show us a video of your desktop. I created a couple of nice websites with iWeb and never experience any slowness, unfortunately I don't use them anymore.

Here's the link to iShowU. The only way we can help is for you to show us rather than tell us. http://www.shinywhitebox.com/home/home.html

tedhogan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Hi, thanks for the link. I really don't want to bother with it though as those sites are now gone.

It shouldn't be necessary though. For instance, I attempted to create a very simple website using one of the nice iWeb templates after MobileMe was released. I wanted to see if the sites would be more responsive. It was disappointingly the same.

I have built several sites at one time or another with iWeb on different computers using different connections. I've connected to those sites from different computers/connections and have even had friends test the sites. The results have been universally slow. So slow as to provoke an "out of the blue" comment from one of my friends about how slow my page was.

Perhaps it's because of all of the graphics. But, if I create a comparable site using Dreamweaver or whatnot it's smaller and speedier. Also, if I move it to my 3rd party host (ANHOSTING), it's faster. I have observed this on numerous occasions.

It ought to be obvious to anyone using the service. I suppose the only way it wouldn't be is if it's the only web page creation tool the author used and if the author had a really good high speed connection and never tried to connect from elsewhere. I thought it was slow but OK until I first tried to access it at work.

I find it hard to believe that anyone using it wouldn't notice the speed issue after trying to access the site on a less than stellar connection.

Wow, you certainly make it sound pretty bad. Could you please gives us a demo of how your iWeb is behaving or how websites you created are acting slow? You can show us by using this software called iShowU. It will allow you to show us a video of your desktop. I created a couple of nice websites with iWeb and never experience any slowness, unfortunately I don't use them anymore.

Here's the link to iShowU. The only way we can help is for you to show us rather than tell us. http://www.shinywhitebox.com/home/home.html

odegnan

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
MobileMe is VERY SLOW

This is definitely beginning to annoy me. MobileMe is extremely slow loading into the browser; any browser. I think I might stop paying for this service soon if they don't fix it.:apple::confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.