Holy cow- my apps are gone! No five column no nothing!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by silroc, Sep 30, 2010.

1. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

I finished sending a text then homescreen comes up all bare- just couple stock apps- dayam ! I tried the basics- could this be a virus?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Nope, not a virus.

Try a reboot. Your apps are still there, but one of your apps is messing up springboard.

3. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

Tx man - no dice- man this blows-

4. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

This happened to someone at work today. Never seen anything like it. Rebooted and all his apps were gone. The only recent activity was an upgrade of Lockinfo a few hours beforehand.
    Have seen a couple of similar posts over on another forum too. Something strange is afoot...

5. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

I downloaded new espn last night and just updated whatever Curia package updates came up- that's all the out of the ordinary stuff

6. liquid85 macrumors member

This happened to me about two months ago and it just happened to wife today. When you plug your phone into itunes does it show "other" Storage as a really big number, 4 or 5 gigs? What happened with my phone was somehow it lost the apps. They were still on the phone but the phone didn't know they were there and they had been stored in the "other" section of the phone.
    try this, re-sync your phone but uncheck the sync apps box. Then ssh into your phone and go to the apps folder. All your apps should still be there. Delete all the folders then re-sync your apps in itunes. That should fix your problem. It fixed my phone.

7. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

Tx man - will try this but I expect 1 prob- I never really have backed up my apps - maybe like 1 o 2 times a few months ago......
    But sincere thanks!

8. liquid85 macrumors member

Well getting the apps back isn't a problem, even if you just downloaded them from your phone, they are still tied to your itunes account and can be re-downloaded for free. If you had synced though you could restore from a backup and get you specific app data back without losing your jailbreak. A lot of people think restoring from a backup takes away your jailbreak but it doesn't.

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Just curious, people with this issue. Did you ever have Rock installed on your phones?

10. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

I never had rock ....

11. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Yes I have rock

I dont think I lost any apps but my folders went back the way they were a few months ago? anything that was added since then is out of a folder, seemingly in cronoligical order (from when they were installed)

I just opened rock and it is asking me to do an update on it. I had already done one that prettymuch turned the app into a goodbye message, didnt "reinstall" the update bc I was afraid I would lose everything.

What now?

12. liquid85 macrumors member

13. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

My friend only has cydia, sbsettings, and lockinfo (never Rock), and only lockinfo was updated yesterday.
    The more I read around, the more I think that update may be to blame... It seems to be a common factor.

14. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

i finally got to my PC

put it on itunes, and is shows several gig of "other", and apps is only like 65mb.

will try the SSH into my phone and delete a couple of the most recent apps one at a time for now and see if that "uncorks it"

will advise

15. spanky.johnson macrumors newbie

just happened to me

I was checking the app store for updates, it said "No updates" instead of the usual phrase, whatever it is. I thought, that looks weird. Closed the app store, and all my apps were gone. Respring, reboot, and safe mode hasn't fixed anything. I can see all the files in iFile, so they are not completely gone. Does anyone have any idea how this happened? Is restoring from backup my only option of getting my apps, with all their data, back?

FYI, I've never had rock, and updated LockInfo yesterday...

EDIT:

I deleted the most recent app that I installed, and all my apps reappeared. WTF?

16. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

OK here is update -

I SSH'd into phone and deleted all of the app updates i installed last night
    (Angry Birds, ESPN, Bowling, and a couple others)

Now i have all my apps back, but they are all over the place, and the WORST PART is that they are all WHITE folders!

LOL

i think i am getting closer.

When i connect to ITUNES, it does now show a small "other" space used, and many gigs of App space. The only issue is that i have some apps on my phone that i dont have in itunes so i would rather not synch right now.

Any ideas what i can do to get all the white folders back to their normal icons?

thanks

17. liquid85 macrumors member

the logos are white because the app isn't fully deleted. you need to sync with the "sync apps" box unchecked. That way itunes thinks it has removed the app. Then delete ALL the apps using ssh. Then sync your apps. Everything will be back. Then you can re-download any apps you didn't sync for free. When I was trying to fix my phone I had problems with white icons and itunes syncing my apps because it was confused. If you do everything in the order I said it should work. Let us know.

18. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

thanks man - just want to clarify cuz i am a bit confused-

all of my apps are white - not just the ones i deleted in SSH (actually the apps i deleted in SSH are not there)

i just syched my phone with the update apps unticked-

On my itunes it shows i have 22 apps. On my phone i have more than that

If i synch the apps, i assume i will lose the full list of apps - and I have to reload other apps manually- ?

is this correct?

19. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Did you by chance modify the version of your OS with the Plist file or a patch? I had this happening a lot. Sometimes Cydia hates when you do that and uninstalls programs it thinks are not compatible.

20. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

i dont believe so - i actually dont know what Plist is?

21. liquid85 macrumors member

Ok you already synced with the update apps unticked, so ssh and delete all apps in the app folder, all of them. You want to start fresh. Then re-sync in itunes and it will put all the apps back that were on your computer. Any that you downloaded on your phone will have to be re-downloaded manually. I think there is an option somewhere i itunes to check for available downloads. That may re-download all your paid apps, otherwise you'll have to download them one-by-one. They will be free though.

22. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

thanks

last question i promise (since i am lazy)

do i really need to delete them via SSH ? Can't i just synch? Is the SSH deleting mainly for precautionary reasons to "start fresh"?

thanks brother -for all by the way !!

23. liquid85 macrumors member

What you are deleting is a copy. So when you resync itunes will do one of two things- 1. sync the apps that are still in your apps folder now, which means you will have two of some apps. Only one will be visible. So space will be taken up by an unusable app. Or 2. it won't sync the apps that are still in your folder because it sees them as already there, even though you can't see them on the springboard. Either way it will just be better to take the extra five minutes and use ssh to delete them before you sync. If you have any more questions just post.

24. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Should I be deleating both the itunes apps and the cydia apps.

I have pkgbackup (I think thats whats its called) I even happend to e-mail myself a back up file today before the phone went crazy.

25. liquid85 macrumors member

just itunes apps. Those seem to be the only one disappearing and being copied.