Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
Yeah, it's quite... Impressive.

It also has it's own lcd for showing the focal length and current focusing distance.

People have also been discussing what to call it, the best I've heard so far is "Sigmarine" (it's huge and looks like a submarine).

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
If they sell it (the Sigma Japan site seems to indicate it's a proof-of-concept, but that could just be bablefish) and it's priced well, they'll sell a heck of a lot of them. 500mm at 2.8 is sweet!

I spent a bit of time trying to get from Bigma to Sigmonster to whatever this thing is, Siggasm was the best I came up with. I like Sigmarine though.

Edit: SigHubble?

OwlsAndApples

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
UK
If they sell it (the Sigma Japan site seems to indicate it's a proof-of-concept, but that could just be bablefish) and it's priced well, they'll sell a heck of a lot of them. 500mm at 2.8 is sweet!

I spent a bit of time trying to get from Bigma to Sigmonster to whatever this thing is, Siggasm was the best I came up with. I like Sigmarine though.

Edit: SigHubble?

Haha I like Siggasm :)
It does look a lot like a submarine...I just like how the body is dwarfed by the lens...:eek:

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
i don't like the matte look of the exterior, bring on the glossy ;)

but seriously thou, if they should do something about the exterior.

it says the tele converter is supplied as standard accessories, i suppose that could be an indicator of they will market it (or are currently marketing it?)

i wonder if that's gotten the Hypersonic motor ;)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Still think I'd rather have the Sigmonster.

I looked at getting one, but I shoot wildlife, mostly birds- and coming from an f/2.8 lens makes it really difficult. For daytime stuff the Sigmonster works well from the shots I've seen from the one sample I've seen in the field. However, you lose so much working time when wildlife is active with such a slow lens.

I've been tempted a couple of times to go with a slower, lighter lens like the 200-400/4, but missing the sweet light around dawn when everything's active is just too much of a trade-off.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Did you see how small the camera looks in relation to the lens?
*Camera shown sold separately :D
200-500_28_s.jpg

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
I like the fact that it comes with a 2x extender. The real question, however, is whether or not it comes with a forklift.
But seriously, why? Why do you need this kind of speed at these focal lengths? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have always been told that at 200 + you'd want smaller apertures to up your DOF.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm guessing around USD$ 10,000.

I'd guess more, maybe $15000.

Just look at the price of some of the Canon and Nikon super-telephoto, wide aperture primes out there. This lens is faster than most of those at the same focal lengths. It's also a zoom lens rather than a prime, which offers far more flexibility. Then you need to subtract a bit of money from what the Nikon or Canon equivalent would cost because it's a Sigma and not a Canon or Nikon. However, an expensive Sigma is getting quite close to the prices of equivalent Canon or Nikon........so maybe this Sigma is around 90-95% as expensive as the equivalent lens that Canon or Nikon offers. Too bad there's no equivalent right now from either company.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
But seriously, why? Why do you need this kind of speed at these focal lengths? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have always been told that at 200 + you'd want smaller apertures to up your DOF.

Wildlife, especially birds. Most activity is post-dawn and pre-dusk where the extra speed is necessary. My 400/2.8 gives me great DoF wide open, and an extra 100mm of reach would be awesome.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Just read about the new sigma lens APO 200-500mm F2.8 EX DG

Incredible that they can manage that speed over that range and it comes with teleconverter making it 400-1000 f5.6 - apparently lens is designed not to loose quality when using the extender.

Now for the best bit :) :D

Check out the pic of it
http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/news/200_500_28.htm
will it come in KAF mount? not that this would be useful at all for me, except for making people feel jealous:p

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'd guess more, maybe $15000.

Just look at the price of some of the Canon and Nikon super-telephoto, wide aperture primes out there. This lens is faster than most of those at the same focal lengths. It's also a zoom lens rather than a prime, which offers far more flexibility. Then you need to subtract a bit of money from what the Nikon or Canon equivalent would cost because it's a Sigma and not a Canon or Nikon. However, an expensive Sigma is getting quite close to the prices of equivalent Canon or Nikon........so maybe this Sigma is around 90-95% as expensive as the equivalent lens that Canon or Nikon offers. Too bad there's no equivalent right now from either company.

The Nikkor 400/2.8 is $7800, the 600/4 runs about $2k more, and the 500/4 about $600 less. Canon's long guns are cheaper, so we'll stick with that- that should put a 500/2.8 somewhere near a 600/4, granted a zoom will add to the price. In the past, Sigma hasn't been anywhere near 90-95% at the long end in pro glass- the Nikkor 300/2.8 is about the closest comparison we can make, the Nikkor is $4499 for the USA version and the Sigma is $2599 (B&H USA only- Canon is $3750.) Furthermore, the Sigma 120-300/2.8 is $2700. Granted, adding the LCD and TC are going to drive up costs, but I doubt by more than $1000.

I'd say at $12,000 and under, Sigma have a clear winner, but over that it's going to be difficult unless performance wide open is stellar. However if they can come in at or under a Nikon 600/4, as long as it performs well, they probably won't be able to keep up with demand for the first year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.