Holy Crap 82C !!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zepharus, Oct 11, 2007.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

So I have my replacement MacBook Pro that is perfect in every way compared to the old one. I decide to encode a movie, using Handbrake, to stick on the ole Touch, so I set it up and go to watch a little TV.

I come back down to check on here and the fans are running at 4K and the thing is 82C !!! If this friggin normal? I mean damn that hot, like 175F! It seemed fine , no issue but I mean WTF is up with that? Anyone have experience with this? Thoughts?

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

What part of it is 82C? There are at least nine thermal sensors on my machine...

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My MacBook regularly hit 80+ and 6000 RPM fans under full load until I installed CoolBook. Now its more like 72 and 4000RPM.

4. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

CPU man. Toasty....

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

really? and your fans were only going at 4000ish at 82c? i dunno, doesn t sound right to me but i could be wrong...when im Handbraking and doing other stuff at the same time, sometimes my MB hits 80 something and my fans are going nuts at 6000+ maybe cause it's a MB not a MBP i dunno

6. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

i think when ever you can u should have a "cool pad" under your laptop. wehter it be a fan powered one or just some legs to raise the mbp up a little. if u go the fan route make sure the cool pads fans are not working against the mbp fans by trying to blow air opposite directions.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Thats fine.

Core 2 Duos are rated to perform normally up to 100˚C

8. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry, but you shouldn't need a cooling pad for your laptop. 82 C is a bit too hot for a Core 2 Duo CPU. If you touch it with your hand, does it feel really hot? Aluminum is a good conductor of heat, but if you can't bear to touch it, then that should tell you that it's way too hot.

Also, that sensor may not be very accurate, and the software may not be very accurate, as there are a lot of compensations going into the calculations.

I'm kind of doubting that your CPU is actually 82 C. The sensore/software may be miscalibrated.

80 C is generally considered a good "safe" temperature for C2D's, although Intel does rate the processor capable of 100C.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The MacBook and MacBook Pro can easily get that hot at full load.

10. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

82C? Thats weak. My macbook has gone up to almost 90...

11. cobravap macrumors regular

I wish people would write what the ambient temperature in the room is when they post their temperatures. I mean come on. Also would help to put what type of surface it is on during the temperature readings (ie. cloth makes it really hot compared to a table.)

12. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Ok. I have the laptop sitting on a Bytecc Aluminum laptop cooler with 2 usb powered fans(Great inexpensive cooler that looks great , works and fits VERY well) the ambient temp in my office is approx 68.8F. This is using SMC fan control and istat widget to monitor. Hope that helps

poppycock

13. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

So... What are the temperatures when you're doing something CPU intensive without the cooler? You shouldn't need a cooler.

14. Templex macrumors regular

My MBP easily reaches 100ºC under full load, but quickly goes down as the fans ramp up.

It doesn't actually feel hot to the touch, so I suspect the sensors are all screwed up.

[​IMG]

I got this after about a minute of full load. It only reached 98ºC this time though, since it's pretty cold right now.

Your 82ºC is nothing :p

15. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

If the sensors were right, your CPU die would have melted by now, so I doubt they are. Intel's thermal spec on the Mobile Core 2 Duo is 100C.

System is fine.

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

17. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

Why not just sit in a grocery store freezer?

18. Templex macrumors regular

I could've sworn the maximum temperature for the Mobile Core 2 Duos were 125ºC... It's only 100?

19. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

Maybe some are 125C, but the X7900 Core 2 Duo Extreme in my iMac is indeed a mobile CPU. It's thermal capacity is 100C.

I could be wrong though, you might be right on the 125C, maybe it's the Extreme that is 100C.

20. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

21. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

You better tell your fans to stop lazing around...