Holy crap, I am freaking out...

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I sold my house about two months ago. The buyer wanted to close asap, so I bought a new place. Well, his financing fell through and the house is back on the market. So, I have two mortgages now. I was thinking, well, a big deal, but I will get through it. I am a loan officer at World Savings and I am doing pretty well. But, I just go over to CNN Money and see this!! http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/07/news/companies/goldenwest_reut/index.htm

I emailed my Boss and he just found out too.

I am a Loan Officer in Retention. Soooo, I am wondering if I will even have a job now!! CRAP!!!!:eek: :(

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Best of luck. I know what it's like to have that particular sword (the job, not the houses) dangling over your head. Hopefully, your job is safe, and, regardless, I hope you re-sell your house soon.

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
jsw said:
Best of luck. I know what it's like to have that particular sword (the job, not the houses) dangling over your head. Hopefully, your job is safe, and, regardless, I hope you re-sell your house soon.
Thanks for the kind words! I never saw this coming...

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
I don't know the logistics of this, but I, of course, hope you make it through this hard time.

Best of wishes. :)

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
CanadaRAM said:
If your housing market is anything like here, you should be able to resell in a few days for $10 - 20K higher than last time...
I wish, I am from San Antonio, Texas. The market is better than it has been, but that does not say much.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
amateurmacfreak said:
I don't know the logistics of this, but I, of course, hope you make it through this hard time.

Best of wishes. :)

Agreed, everything will work out fine. Just stay calm and "git er don".

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
iGary said:
Rob is a branch operations manager for Countrywide - PM me - maybe he can find something in Texas.

Thanks! I certainly will. I am headed to work in a few minutes and should learn more at that time.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Hopefully the will keep you on even if the merger goes through. A lot of the time it's easier just to take over and leave everything running as-is than it is to try to restructure. And if they are planning to restructure, it's also possible that they will wait until they have a better idea about how things are running before they decide what specific changes to make.

/crosses fingers for you

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
baby duck monge said:
Hopefully the will keep you on even if the merger goes through. A lot of the time it's easier just to take over and leave everything running as-is than it is to try to restructure. And if they are planning to restructure, it's also possible that they will wait until they have a better idea about how things are running before they decide what specific changes to make.

/crosses fingers for you
I hope this is the case. World Savings was huge on retention. The average percentage of people who use the same lender twice in a row is about 5%. But, with World, it was around 35%. I just hope that Wachovia is as big on retention. One good thing is that I have funded the second highest number of loans year to date for Retention. We have around 50 Loan Officers in our department. So, hopefully I can at least keep a job based on my past success.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
nospleen said:
I hope this is the case. World Savings was huge on retention. The average percentage of people who use the same lender twice in a row is about 5%. But, with World, it was around 35%. I just hope that Wachovia is as big on retention. One good thing is that I have funded the second highest number of loans year to date for Retention. We have around 50 Loan Officers in our department. So, hopefully I can at least keep a job based on my past success.
It sounds like you're a stand-out employee in a company with a strong record. Things are looking better and better that they will keep things the same (or, failing that, at least keep you)!

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
baby duck monge said:
It sounds like you're a stand-out employee in a company with a strong record. Things are looking better and better that they will keep things the same (or, failing that, at least keep you)!
That is what I am hoping for. Time to hang the Top Funder, Top Producer, and Employee of the Month awards in the office. :p Cross your fingers, off to hear the spin...

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
nospleen said:
That is what I am hoping for. Time to hang the Top Funder, Top Producer, and Employee of the Month awards in the office. :p Cross your fingers, off to hear the spin...
Well good luck, and keep us posted both on that and how the house-selling goes! I would have been pretty bummed about that falling through (and having to pay on 2 mortgages) even without this whole thing with your job. Hopefully you will find a new buyer (at a higher price) and you will still have your same job (or maybe they'll promote you ;) ), though!

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
nospleen said:
Sorry to hear about your situation nospleen. :(

But based on your track record, it sounds like everything should work out okay for you. :)

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
I know the market in San Antonio isn't exactly like it is here in D.C., but I suppose you do have the summer market buyers working in your favor. It's probably a good thing the housing thing happened when the buying season is at a peak so hopefully it won't take too long to sell.

I'm surprised they didn't give you any advance warning about the takeover.... :(

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
Well, with no spleen I would be freaking out too.
(Sorry, I've been resisting the urge to say that for a long time.)
Sorry to hear, I hope everything turns out ok. Your situation is definitely "Holy Crap!!™"-worthy.

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
jadekitty24 said:
Well, with no spleen I would be freaking out too.
(Sorry, I've been resisting the urge to say that for a long time.)
Sorry to hear, I hope everything turns out ok. Your situation is definitely "Holy Crap!!™"-worthy.
LOL! :D

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
floriflee said:
I know the market in San Antonio isn't exactly like it is here in D.C., but I suppose you do have the summer market buyers working in your favor. It's probably a good thing the housing thing happened when the buying season is at a peak so hopefully it won't take too long to sell.

I'm surprised they didn't give you any advance warning about the takeover.... :(

Not even a peep...

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
baby duck monge said:
Well good luck, and keep us posted both on that and how the house-selling goes! I would have been pretty bummed about that falling through (and having to pay on 2 mortgages) even without this whole thing with your job. Hopefully you will find a new buyer (at a higher price) and you will still have your same job (or maybe they'll promote you ;) ), though!
I like the way you think. Well I am in the office now. Things are very quiet right now, never a good sign. :confused:

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Well you could always walk into work with an automatice rifle and lots of ammo...that works for some people. :D :p

Seriously though, take it one day at a time and try not t worry too much about things you may not be able to control. Been in your position before. Good luck.

nospleen

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Thanks for the kind words iGary. I am not terribly, terribly worried. But, I am definately a little anxious. My wife stays at home with our two children, 2 and 3. I would hate for her to have to go back to work.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
nospleen said:
Thanks for the kind words iGary. I am not terribly, terribly worried. But, I am definately a little anxious. My wife stays at home with our two children, 2 and 3. I would hate for her to have to go back to work.
Just keep the Faith there guy. I know from first hand experience that when things look bad, they will get better. Just look at my posts from last year. :)

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I went through the corporate buyout thing as well. Worked for a $20M family owned business and got bought out by a $6B corporation. It got dumped on everyone at the same time - totally surprised most of us. Scared the heck out of me and I thought for sure I'd lose my job. But I adapted to my new environment and here it is three years later and I'm still working in the same office - new job though! Making more money and with *much* better benefits, BTW. Just keep the faith and do what you can to keep yourself valuable to the new management. Everything should work out fine :)