Holy crap I love OS X! (life time windows user)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by P90Xfit, Feb 8, 2009.

1. P90Xfit macrumors regular

As I speak I am fixing a windows driver problem with my new macbook pro! lol

I download an app like Burn for DVD burning, and wala! It's done "installed" and working, and once I'm done I put it in the trash and it's gone! In windows you have to go to the uninstaller and hope it would let you uninstall it, then if you did get through you would have to hunt for all of its files and folder, and some times you never could get rid of everything!

I'm sorry for my rant here, it's just OSX is amazing to me, and I feel like I waisted all this time. I am so glad I bough my MBP cash big buy for me, but I would do it again in a heart beat.

2. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

3. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I felt the exact same way, I know exactly what you're saying. I bought my first Mac a little over a month ago, and there is no looking back.

I was a long time PC user, but the registry crashes and virus scanning got to me, Microsoft lost a customer.

4. iTim314 macrumors 6502

+2

Got my first Mac (iBook G3) and that was one of the things I feel in love with: the ease and simplicity of Application Installation and Deletion.

5. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Good to hear nice feedback from a switcher. It's even easier than the OP did it. The Finder has built-in CD/DVD burning. No software required. Just pop in a blank disc, hit File-Burn "XXfile" to Disc. Wa La!

7. MSTRKRFT macrumors regular

It's a bit of a trip to switch and think about why macs don't have a bigger share of the os market.

8. P90Xfit thread starter macrumors regular

I feel like a giddy school boy, I'm going to lynda.com to watch training videos of OS X so I know my way around, I need to stop thinking in windows.

I had to google how to uninstall something on OS X and then when I read just put it in the trash, I googled it again using another term. I simply could not or rather would not let my self think it was that simple. I look for a programs folder.

Any good magazines or books I should know about for MAC?

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

True, but you shouldn't waste a post on a meaningless correction.

See forum rules:
    To the OP: Welcome and I am glad you are enjoying the switch :)

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

There's several OS X for dummies books around the web, some free some not. You should check out the videos right on Apple's website called "Anatomy of a Mac". It's perfect for beginners in OS X. Scroll to the bottom of the page on this link.
    http://www.apple.com/mac/

11. P90Xfit thread starter macrumors regular

Oh what ever you know what I was saying! as I was typing the OP, I was giddy like a school girl falling in love with my mac.

The beatles comes to mind.

I've just seen a MAC,
    I can't forget the time or place
    Where we just met.
    She's just the MAC for me
    And I want all the world to see
    We've met, mmm-mmm-mmm-m'mmm-mmm.
    Had it been another day
    I might have looked the other way
    And I'd have never been aware.
    But as it is I'll dream of MAC Tonight, di-di-di-di'n'di.
    Falling, yes I am falling,
    And MAC keeps calling
    Me back again

12. maestrocasa macrumors regular

Congratulations and welcome to the club. Soon you will be an apple fanboy too! Muuuaaaahahahaha!

I've been using Apples since the days of Apple II and have never understood how MS based PC's ever took off. All I know is I rarely have trouble with my mac, and everytime I am forced to use Windows (at work, etc) I find it cumbersome, troublesome, and generally a PITA!

I hope you never go back to the dark side.

13. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Just keep in mind that while you may have installed the app by moving it to the trash, there still may be countless support files hidden all over the place. Some Mac users long for a standard uninstall feature that removes everything.

14. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

My first reaction was more along the lines of "Holy m****rf**king s**t!!!" :D :D :D

I could make a list 5 miles long, but instead it'll be 5 lines long:
    1.) Doesn't crash ever or freeze hardly at all
    2.) More secure
    3.) Eye candy :D
    4.) Most applications are a simple "application.app" that doesn't live buried in a folder with zillions of associated files. If you moved a Windows executable from its cave, it would bleat in protest and refuse to load ("Cannot find the associated file ghtr_sys255_axc.dll"). :D
    5.) Using a Mac makes you different. :cool:

:apple:

15. kunze50 macrumors regular

Think simple, there is a lot more dragging and dropping of files folders and what not. Learning shortcuts in Mac OS X can be a huge time saver also!

16. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Using a mac makes me a pimp. All the chicks use it.

17. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

It's nice to see someone post a positive thread on something instead of the wah wah wah threads that happen on here so much. But I guess that's what keeps this site interesting...

18. P90Xfit thread starter macrumors regular

Could I not just find them ALL with two or three key strokes with finder? :)

Now I know it's not perfect so, is there anything I should be aware of? Any thing I should learn/Do? Any software I should get? I wanna get a large HD for my new baby, should I get something to help me out with that?

19. calvinsaysxp macrumors newbie

eye candy that doesn't lag, unlike aero :D

20. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

Congrats on the switch. Seeing the light and buying my first Mac was the best decision I've ever made. My life is so much easier without the random crashes and other nightmares often associated with M$.

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Not really. It's relatively small files, maybe a few KB in size.

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

*off topic*
    I also hate people who type "common" as in "Oh common that's ridiculous" instead of "Oh come on that's ridiculous"
    */off topic*

Back on topic, I totally agree, even little things that seemed so annoying are easy as pie with Mac OS X.

23. waffle911 macrumors regular

Micro$oft: You assimilate to the machine's ways.
    @pple (where its @): The machine assimilates to your ways, which happen to be subliminally defined by the machine itself and originate from Steve Jobs' holistic view of common computing.

The Question: Do you use the computer to get something done, or do you simply get something done by using the computer? <-- fun with formatting

HOT TIP: Decipher my "Location" (its a particular keyboard shortcut, used in a text field, and its how I did my siggy)

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I apologize in advance...

But it's Mac, not MAC.

There's many reasons why Microsoft took over, but my personal reason is because Mac OS prior to X sucked the big one.

Like the poster above said, the files left behind are only a few KB's in size, and doesn't slow your computer down or anything. But if you really want to eradicate an app, you can just search for it's name. That'll usually get you most, if not all, of the files left behind. Just trash them, and you're golden.