Holy crap on a pogo stick, 10.8 natively supports AVCHD!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CausticPuppy, Jul 27, 2012.

1. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I never thought this day would arrive. You can natively playback AVCHD using the new quicktime player included in Mountain Lion (avchd support is buried within the "200 new features" list on apple's site).

Naturally, you still can't just play .MTS files directly, I mean why would Apple want to make it that easy..... but if you have the whole AVCHD directory structure, the "private" folder shows up as a quicktime playable file. Opening it will open a window that generates previews for all video files (this can take a while), which seems to happen every time you open package.

The playback itself works very well, even on my old 2.66 Core2Duo Macbook Pro. CPU usage is much lower than when using VLC, and it does a better job de-interlacing, so I think it's FINALLY using GPU acceleration for the playback.

Nice to know that I can (in the future) just hook a mac mini up to my TV, and play my camcorder files directly off the SD card without having to transcode anything!

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

This is huge and great! No more need to convert all my home video to play it.

Too bad Quick Time player doesn't AirPlay. Why Apple, why do we often get HALF of what we really need/expect?

3. Bkxmnr macrumors regular

Bkxmnr

So they can wait until OSX 10.9 and add it to the feature list.

Sorry, that was snarky...

4. kev6677 macrumors member

It's about time.....now lets see how long it takes to fix the poor video output resolution from Imovie

5. ctyhntr, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

My eyes may deceiving me because I'm so full of optimism, but I think QT is less jerkier than in VLC.

I like QT's new export feature. It creates a HTML page embedded with your choice of 3 file formats, and size.

What exactly do you mean? iMovie will still require importing in as AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec). Do you mean preview/play mode or exporting?

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Aperture automatically imports and renders it now...That and the built in Mirroring are my two favourite features in ML.

7. Terabyte2007 macrumors newbie

Terabyte2007

It actually does have good export resolution, you just have to select "Export as Quicktime" and then tweak your output settings. I really wish they had a way to create output presets. I also wish they gave you more built-in export options also.

8. Terabyte2007 macrumors newbie

Terabyte2007

It was only a matter of time, they pretty much had to because most camera MFG's have adopted some form of AVCHD which has become standard for HD video cameras.

9. CausticPuppy thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I gotta say that Quicktime's handling of AVCHD is quite poor right now. The actual playback is great, but there's no way of playing sequential clips. You have to re-open the "private" file every time you want to play a different clip.

It's nice they got the codec stuff worked out but damn.... the workflow is clumsy as hell.

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Sounds like an opportunity for a Mac Developer to put together a decent app to do just that. I guess the handling of AVCHD playback is right in the OS now, so any app can access that API, right?

11. CausticPuppy thread starter macrumors 65816

I would assume so. Hope so.

12. TennisandMusic

I just use Movist to play back AVCHD. Still wish Apple's apps handled it better, but third party stuff works fine.