Holy crap, upgrade love!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Anonymous Freak, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Just bought my wife a new 13" MacBook Air (the base model - 1.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel 5000 graphics, 128 GB SSD.)

Previously, she had a 2008 MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM, GeForce 8800 256 MB, 7200 RPM 250 GB hard drive.)

I have a mid-2007 iMac (upgraded to 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 6 GB RAM, Radeon HD 2400 128 MB, 1 TB hard drive.)

This Air is insanely fast compared our two machines. I know, the PCI SSD is most of the cause, but wow. This is a HUGE improvement. Now I need to redouble my effort to raise money to get myself a newer iMac. (Psst: I have a couple collectors items for sale in the Collectors Marketplace...)

I think she will be very happy with this upgrade.

(Oh, and I got it for $720 at Best Buy - $50 sale, $150 student discount, 10% off coupon from the US Post Office "moving kit". Also got an external Blu-ray rewriter with it.)

2. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Congrats on your purchase.

If you want to save some money, the 2012 iMac is essentially the same machine as the 2013 model. You can pick up an i7/gtx 680mx/8GB RAM/ 1TB Fusion Drive 27" for 1949$, and it performs as well as a similarly specced 2013 model. There are obviously some benefits of purchasing a 2013 model, but I would only recommend one if you are getting the lowest end or the highest end model. You cannot find a 2013 model for 1949$ that performs on the same level as the 2012 model.

Just something to think about :). Enjoy your computer.

Matt

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I know the feeling! I upgraded from the same MBP to the MBA in 2011, then to a 2013 MBA last summer. For me, the most impressive comparison is ripping DVD's in Handbrake. The MBA is about 6x as fast for that. :)

4. jsd79 macrumors member

I too have noticed Handbrake rips much faster on my 2014 MBA (i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 SSD) than my 2009 MBP (2.7? core 2 duo). Much faster overall, too, which I suppose I should have expected but was pleasantly surprised about nonetheless!

5. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yeah, I've been trolling Craigslist for 2012 iMacs for a while. Nearly got one for a steal, but was too late getting there. (I said I'd stop by after work, he had someone come by at lunch time.)

Still looking.

----------

I already have a Core i3 4th-generation system as my HTPC, and it replaced my workstation as my primary Handbrake rig. Two cores (with QuickSync) can rip a Blu-ray faster than my eight-core Nehalem workstation! (It's the equivalent of the 2009 Mac Pro.) Once I get a newer iMac, I'll be able to retire my workstation for good.

6. Dizle macrumors 6502

Same story here! I upgraded from a late 2007 WHITE MacBook, the machine was still running great I just wanted to upgrade and man do I love my MBA! I have the base 2014 model as well and it's awesome. 7 years was a good run with my last MacBook, hoping I get at least 5 years out of this!

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

People on here do a lot of bickering about the mba specs. Glad to here more people tell how it really is.
    The base mba is awesome! We have the one with 256gb and its amazing.

8. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yeah, for a basic computing machine, the Air is plenty. And decent for the price.

The new ultra-low-end iMac, on the other hand... While it has the same specs as the Air, means it would be a "decent basic computing machine," is overpriced for a desktop with those specs. (But that's a separate argument, in other threads...)

Obviously, I'd love to have a quad-core with discrete GPU (which is what I'm planning when I replace my desktop,) but for my wife, this is plenty.

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

10. idelgado782 macrumors newbie

I can definitely agree with everyone else on here. I upgraded from a 2008 Unibody Macbook which I had upgraded to 4gb of ram and 256gb ssd 2.4 core duo, which I thought was fairly fast. Had it three months short of five years. Once I started using my 2014 MBA I was blown away. I didn't get a little wrapped up with the specs, trying to compare the 2.4ghz to the 1.4, but I shouldn't have even second guessed it. I ran iMovie on the MBA and it ran smooth as butter no issues. Very happy with :apple: my upgrade so far. It was time and definitely worth it.

11. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

When I got my MBA I was worried I'd miss the built in cd/dvd drive. I loved the idea of it being super light and super slim, but what was I giving up as far as usability? The answer: NOTHING. Amazing how little I use a cd/dvd drive these days. And I sure notice the extreme lightness of my MBA when traveling or carting it around. One other thing - WiFi reception is crazy good! I connect to my home network from our lake beach area (line of sight with my house, router in the window area) at a range of probably 200 yds.

12. SusanK macrumors 68000

Congrats!

Congrats on the new Air. They are amazing computers. I love mine so much it's borderline abnormal :)

13. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

You know people are bitching about the fact that the base iMac is basically the guts of a MBA.

I'd say that's plenty fast! GPU probably helps.

14. gstevie macrumors 6502

gstevie

Received my 2014 Air yesterday and I love it already. I have a topped out 2012 Mini and the performance between the 2 is negligible. I needed the Air because I am going to be relocating for a few months for work and needed a great battery life machine that did not feel sluggish compared to what I am used to. This more than accommodates my needs so far. It also feels great to hold.

The battery is sitting at 68% (battery use since opened from box and set up last night and good 3 hours use) with 13:42hrs usage time left!! Never seen anything like it.

15. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

Did they give you any problems for using the coupon with the movers coupon?

16. ToddW macrumors 6502a

bought a base model last weekend. was really surprised at how zippy and crazy the battery life is. wife decided to take my mbp 13" that is heavily upgraded for her phd.

17. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Zero problems. Took them, scanned them in turn, got the discounts. I had tried to buy it the week before, and ran in to two problems:

1. The movers coupon had just been switched at the Post Office - so I had a coupon that had a valid date of July 1 - November 15, but it wasn't July 1 yet. Apparently my local Post Office had thrown out the old "good until June 30" ones a day or two earlier. Best Buy wouldn't let me use the coupon early, so I had to come back on July 1.

2. I did try (before discovering the movers coupon wasn't good yet) to get a refurbished model. The educational coupon didn't apply to refurbished models.

But both of those were stretching it, anyway, so I had no problem coming back on July 1 and buying a non-refurbished. (I have seen some reports of people getting them to apply the education coupon to refurbished models, but a lot more saying they don't. So it's probably a "you got a clerk who was willing to fudge the rules for you" case.)

18. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

It's not fair going from a HDD to a PCIe SSD and say that "it feels way faster" :p

Put a SSD on your old iMac and your MBA won't feel so much faster, even considering that your SATAI bus will perform around 1/4 the speed of the PCIe SSD.

19. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Try ripping a DVD in Handbrake on your old Core2 Duo machine. You will notice a big difference, SSD or not. ;)

20. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

i have a 2013 macbook air :) and found a 2006 macbook pro. Yea...... the difference is massive. Its like how did people use this piece of junk. I remember it was 2k when I got it. SSD is great but having a bunch more ram is awesome. Suprised the computer still works and is in great shape minus the battery being dead and having 512mb of ram. I going to give it to a realitive who doesn't have a computer.

21. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Congrats on the upgrade. I find that of all the boxes I've got in my house I spend the most time on my MBA, plus it's a great substitute for my semi portable "mobile workstation" when traveling. I run a corporate windows 7 image an a VM - best of both worlds.

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

stick an ssd into that 2006 mbp and watch it rock!

23. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

It would need a new battery and RAM upgrade also. And then you would still have a slow, 8 year old computer where something else is going to fail soon.

I have a 2008 15" MBP and thought about upgrading it to use as an iTunes server recently. But I just couldn't bring myself to put any more money into a machine of that age, so I got a new mini instead.

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

i recently upgraded an acer from 512mb to 1gb ram and it made no difference.
    Without the battery it can still be used as a desktop.

25. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I agree that an old computer can still have its uses. But using that same logic, if you're satisfied with the performance of an 8 year old machine, you can buy a new one today you'll be good until 2022. :D