Holy cripes..Logic Express.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ZiggyPastorius, Nov 29, 2007.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

So, I finally got my Macbook and I got Logic Express 8 with it. I like the program and everything, but I don't understand it at all. I am getting an audio interface so that I can do recording, but for now, I have nothing but my internal and some cheap mics. However, when I try to record with anything, all I get is feedback, and no luck. Also, the different features confuse me. For example, how do you input into the score section? If I'd like to do some sheet music work like in Finale, how do I get that to work? Also, is it possible to record with the internal, and if not, how do you get recording to work with a properly connected, decent microphone, or instrument? There's so much I can learn, and I'm trying to learn the basics from the manual I got with it. Basically, I'm asking if anyone would mind giving me some good places to start with Logic Express here or via personal message/email. If so, that'd be really cool, 'cause I'd like to start doing some stuff before Christmas, when I get the Audio interface, even if it is basic stuff. Thanks, guys.

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

I was a longtime Logic user (from Logic 2.0, and I used Notator (predecessor to Logic) when I worked in a recording studio). I stopped using Logic when they went Mac only. Now I'm in the Mac world (damn Mac Mini for being so GOOD!) and will go back to using Logic.

Anyway, about Logic. It's a weird program. It isn't setup like anything else. It is finicky. It is like a Ferrari that is delivered to your house one piece at a time.

It takes a LOT of time to get up to speed with Logic. But once you do, and get things figured out, it is has power beyond your dreams.

You have to learn to love Logic.

In the short term, I'd try to hook up with some online Logic user groups. They can teach you the basics and the shortcuts...I don't know any of the current ones though, sorry.

-Allen

3. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Thanks for the advice, my friend :) As I work with Logic more, I'm finding it to be quite the program. It's so ridiculously complex, but it's also simple, at the same time. I learned how to use the Piano Roll and such am doing some basic synth writing with basses and acoustics and drums and synths and such. It's a lot of fun to mess around in, and hopefully I'll be able to explore the other features soon. It has so much that you can do to it, more than I could ever imagine, but yet, it's so easy once you figure out how to use it. I still can't figure out how to record, as whenever I try, it gives me a loud feedback. It will record, but only with that feedback, not only when I record, but it plays it back, too (obviously). I'll look for some of these online places and thanks for the recommendation =] Glad to hear more verification that I made a great choice with this purchase and best of luck to you!