holy damn i got lucky!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by intelplatoon, Apr 24, 2010.

1. intelplatoon macrumors member

well i am a complete idiot, i already know that........

the other day i was on my back deck with my macbook. as i was going inside i said to myself "i should grab my computer, its getting dark out"........well i proceeded inside the house to make dinner (without my computer) and forgot all about it......about 45 mins later it starts to rain, i go about my business not thinking about a COMPUTER SITTING OUTSIDE IN THE RAIN......OPENED!!!!!!! about an hour later im wondering what i did with my computer? i think about where i had it last....and then i think about the rain.......****!! i freaked out and brought it inside and blotted the entire thing down with a ******** of paper towels, shut it down and let it sit open in a closet with a radiator room heater on low for a few days.........the best part of the story is........this was almost a week ago, and here i am writing this on that exact computer.....i got so damn lucky i dont even know what to do......except buy Apple the next time i do something stupid like that and it breaks,like it should have.......thanks macbook, i have a newfound love and appreciation for you!

2. ethical macrumors 68000

3. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Excellent story---- would you run another test for us? Dump your cup of coffee on the keyboard and let us know if it still works. :)

Any other tests we can think of?

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Too bad Apple doesn't do "testimonial" commercials, or they'd be calling you about now. :D

By the way, from the thread title I thought this topic was going to be about something else entirely.... :p

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I can't tell you how much this thread disappointed after such a good title. Oh well.

6. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wait a minute, not yet...I still haven't figured out what the first ones meant. :p

9. Jordan6 macrumors regular

10. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

He only uses them every 28 days...

11. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

How lucky you are will find out in the next few months. Just because it works now doesn't mean there wasn't any damage done and it may slowly deteriorate over next few months and then die. Or not. You'll find out.

12. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Indeed. I suggest the host powers down, remove the battery, take it apart as must as possible and ensure no water dew marks are left. Take it to an Apple store for them to do it if you like.

13. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Luck is sometimes the best friend of technology. Nowhere near as vulnerable as a notebook but I was cross country skiing in Feburary and it snowed the entire time I was out there--a very wet snow--and I had my iPhone in my windbreaker pocket which I thought would be fine. When I got done my jacket was soaked and so was my iPhone when I took it out. I carefully dried it off and it seemed to suffer no ill effects--but I won't be so careless next time.

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

I'll bet those water sensor dots are all activated now, though....

Congrats on the good **** luck!

15. djon41 macrumors regular

Did this a couple months ago...about 10 ounces of it. Working perfectly :D

16. macfan881 macrumors 68020

17. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

haha wow, sounds familiar. I was at an event at our college where universities come advertising their stuff on tables outside, and one of the unis had a display using a MacBook to go through a slideshow.

The person running the display got up and left, and wouldn't you know it? It started to rain. I saw that and closed the machine. They were lucky though it was light sprinkling and didn't start going cats and dogs like it did later that day. :D

18. intelplatoon thread starter macrumors member

19. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Yes, I will purchase an Apple laptop because I know it may survive a torrential rainstorm should I leave it ever decide to leave it outside.

20. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Also asterisks :eek:

21. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Very Very Lucky glad to hear it is still working.

22. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I spilt a whole glass of iced tea on my MacBook a few months back (on the keyboard) and other than the right hand Shift key sticking some it works flawlessly.

I say someone throws it in pool. Now that's a test! Or heck, in the spirt of 4th of July why not hook some M80s to it and have a go?

23. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

hahaha, same :D

24. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The rain may have not harmed your computer, but perhaps it introduced a typing impediment?