holy damn i got lucky!

intelplatoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
well i am a complete idiot, i already know that........

the other day i was on my back deck with my macbook. as i was going inside i said to myself "i should grab my computer, its getting dark out"........well i proceeded inside the house to make dinner (without my computer) and forgot all about it......about 45 mins later it starts to rain, i go about my business not thinking about a COMPUTER SITTING OUTSIDE IN THE RAIN......OPENED!!!!!!! about an hour later im wondering what i did with my computer? i think about where i had it last....and then i think about the rain.......****!! i freaked out and brought it inside and blotted the entire thing down with a ******** of paper towels, shut it down and let it sit open in a closet with a radiator room heater on low for a few days.........the best part of the story is........this was almost a week ago, and here i am writing this on that exact computer.....i got so damn lucky i dont even know what to do......except buy Apple the next time i do something stupid like that and it breaks,like it should have.......thanks macbook, i have a newfound love and appreciation for you!

mac8867

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Excellent story---- would you run another test for us? Dump your cup of coffee on the keyboard and let us know if it still works. :)

Any other tests we can think of?

Comment

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Too bad Apple doesn't do "testimonial" commercials, or they'd be calling you about now. :D

By the way, from the thread title I thought this topic was going to be about something else entirely.... :p

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I can't tell you how much this thread disappointed after such a good title. Oh well.

Comment

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
How lucky you are will find out in the next few months. Just because it works now doesn't mean there wasn't any damage done and it may slowly deteriorate over next few months and then die. Or not. You'll find out.

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
How lucky you are will find out in the next few months. Just because it works now doesn't mean there wasn't any damage done and it may slowly deteriorate over next few months and then die. Or not. You'll find out.
Indeed. I suggest the host powers down, remove the battery, take it apart as must as possible and ensure no water dew marks are left. Take it to an Apple store for them to do it if you like.

Comment

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Luck is sometimes the best friend of technology. Nowhere near as vulnerable as a notebook but I was cross country skiing in Feburary and it snowed the entire time I was out there--a very wet snow--and I had my iPhone in my windbreaker pocket which I thought would be fine. When I got done my jacket was soaked and so was my iPhone when I took it out. I carefully dried it off and it seemed to suffer no ill effects--but I won't be so careless next time.

Comment

djon41

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Excellent story---- would you run another test for us? Dump your cup of coffee on the keyboard and let us know if it still works. :)

Did this a couple months ago...about 10 ounces of it. Working perfectly :D

Comment

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Bay Area, Ca.
haha wow, sounds familiar. I was at an event at our college where universities come advertising their stuff on tables outside, and one of the unis had a display using a MacBook to go through a slideshow.

The person running the display got up and left, and wouldn't you know it? It started to rain. I saw that and closed the machine. They were lucky though it was light sprinkling and didn't start going cats and dogs like it did later that day. :D

Comment

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Yes, I will purchase an Apple laptop because I know it may survive a torrential rainstorm should I leave it ever decide to leave it outside.

Comment

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.

I spilt a whole glass of iced tea on my MacBook a few months back (on the keyboard) and other than the right hand Shift key sticking some it works flawlessly.

I say someone throws it in pool. Now that's a test! Or heck, in the spirt of 4th of July why not hook some M80s to it and have a go?

Comment

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
The rain may have not harmed your computer, but perhaps it introduced a typing impediment?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.