Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
My display on my PB has just stopped working. I can see it faintly and when I connect it to my lcd, i can see it. what happened and what can I do?! I still have apple care.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
scan said:
My display on my PB has just stopped working. I can see it faintly and when I connect it to my lcd, i can see it. what happened and what can I do?! I still have apple care.

Call Apple Care!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Your backlight and/or the power supply to it failed, unless you dimmed it unintentionally.

Still under warranty? Call Apple after hitting the Brightness key.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
You can try to reset the PMU. See Apple's support page. Other than that your computer is screwed and you need to wait until you can get in touch with Apple.

In the meantime backup!

scan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Frisco said:
You can try to reset the PMU. See Apple's support page. Other than that your computer is screwed and you need to wait until you can get in touch with Apple.

In the meantime backup!

that didn't work. yikes!

WildCowboy said:
You did check your brightness settings, right?

def. not the brightness. I thought that at first too, but its soo dimm that you can't really see anything.

regan2

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2005
hyde park, ny
LCD backlight is out or the PMU is down. Happened to my MBP, but was an easy fix at any apple store.

jsw said:
Just to verify - you did press the keyboard buttons to increase brightness (F2 on my MBP) and it didn't work, right?

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Since you can sort of see the screen, I recommend backing things up.
If you do have to send it to Apple, you won't have to worry about paying for drive restoration, should something happen in transit or if for some odd reason the Apple techs decide to swap out drives. Otherwise Apple charges... I think $60 bucks if the service is needed and you agreed to it.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Actually, if it's a screen issue the power inverter board is probably more likely than the backlight going out. Backlights tend to gradually fade out over time.

(although of course anything is possible)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.