holy moly....got mbp late 2011 15 inch with 850 evo..help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pat500000, Jul 29, 2015.

1. pat500000 macrumors 603

pat500000

as the title says...i purchased yesterday eve 850 samsung...ssd...but i tried to connect adapter thing to usb so that i can clone it but it doesn't appear on my mbp. need help. any suggestion? my macbook pro doesn't read off from the ssd. I tried other external usb hd..and it reads..but this doesn't...people on amazon says that it's not broken..but there are certain way to do this...not sure what they are talking about. help please.

2. Ries macrumors 68000

(copied from a forum on Crucial's website)

Before you can use your new SSD with your Mac, you have to initialize and partition it.

Connect the SSD via USB adapter or other external connection (I used a 2.5" HDD/SDD enclosure purchased from Amazon) method. When the SSD is noticed by the Mac, you will see a message telling you that the drive cannot be read by this computer. In this message, click the button Initialize.
    The Crucial SSD will be listed in Disk Utility. Highlight the SSD and click the Partition tab.
    Click on Options and verify that it's set to "GUID Partition Table".
    Select Partition 1 if you want to use the entire SSD as a single partition, and give it a suitable name.
    Verify that the selected format has defaulted to "Mac OS Ex tended (Journaled)".
    Select Partition. The drive will now be partitioned and formatted.
    When the Disk Utility is done, close it.
    The SSD should now be visible on your desktop with the new name you gave it.

I then restarted my Mac in Recovery Mode (holding command + R keys simultaneously).
    Select Drive Utility
    Select Restore tab
    Select "Mac HD" as origination; select Samsung SSD as destination
    Click Restore and accept yes for the following prompts.
    The Cloning process will begin- mine took about 2hrs for approx 160Gb worth of stuff

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like Reis said, you need to format the drive first before you clone the OS and your data over. Here is a video showing the steps Reis outlined.

4. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 603

pat500000

I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. Of course you have to portion however what's the point if it's not being read on utility?

5. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 603

pat500000

Before I go there the ssd must show up on utility but it's not...

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You did not mention that in your post, so I assumed you had not formatted the drive.

If you can't even get it to show up in Disk Utility, you are kind of dead in the water there.

How about trying installing the SSD internally, then put the old HDD on the USB adaptor and see if you can option key boot to that, then format the drive and clone.

7. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 603

pat500000

Yeah sorry. I actually solved it with another adapter