Holy moly my lap is burning up

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by akm3, May 23, 2008.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

I threw the folding@space onto my work Dell (I citrix in, so I don't really need a lot of CPU power to do that) and put it on the Mac Rumors team... (Yes, I'm running a Dell on the MR team, sorry)

Anyway, prior to F@H I've never heard the fan kick in on this thing and now with fan full blast full time, it runs too hot to 'lap' with anymore.

Is there anyway to run the client but have it go a little easier on the folding, so I might have other kids some day?

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I think there is a setting to determine how much CPU you want F@H to use 0-100%. At 100%, things start cooking.

I would never fold on a laptop in the first place, the heat and the fans just scare me.

3. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

It is my company work laptop, and I hate it. It has been nothing but trouble since day one, but it's never had a serious enough problem to warrant them replacing it with a new one. I'm hoping folding at home will solve diseases AND destroy this POS :)

4. Aron Peterson macrumors member

Aron Peterson

I remember running SETI on a 233Mhz laptop back when we thought we would find ET real soon :D

Boy it fried my thighs!

5. speedfreek macrumors newbie

You could always fashion up a lap table of sorts for the laptop to sit on. Maybe some flat wood or something and fire retard it :p