Holy Moly!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlondeBuddhist, Jun 23, 2010.

1. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

So..

Best Buy called me to tell me they had my phone (16 gb) and that they had a reservation for 11:30 to pick it up.

I have already made plans to go to the Mall of America around 3 this morning to get a 32gb...

So... Now I'm thinking of getting the 32gb with my upgrade from Apple, and picking up the phone at Best Buy with my "add a line" I have available and sell it. My question (and really the purpose of the thread) is if I do go ahead and pick up the phone from Best Buy to sell it, do I have to take the SIM card out to make it not connected to the line that its added under? Or something else? Thanks!

Blonde Buddhist

2. bobdigi macrumors regular

If you "add a line" with the second iphone, dont you get locked into a 2 year contract or whatever? Wouldnt you have to pay an early termination fee to get rid of it?

3. dojoman macrumors 65816

Don't be greedy. Let the bestbuy one go to someone else. If you're Buddhist you should know better than that...

4. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Yes and no. I can just pay the $10 a month that the adding a line would warrant (and profit like 600), or pay the early term fee on that line and still profit like 300 bucks.

My question is what do I have to do to make that line not the line it is set up under.

Blonde Buddhist

5. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

It isn't greed if your giving the profit away. And I would be. TO my son and getting ahead with Child Support.

Blonde Buddhist

6. Adam West macrumors newbie

Buddhist fundamental #11.. Child support is frowned upon.

7. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

LOL!

no kidding huh..

It's not like I'm stock piling the phone in a closet. It WILL be going to someone. Someone who buys it. Just online instead of in the store.

Blonde Buddhist

8. iRobertM macrumors regular

"getting ahead with Child Support" this is greed...

9. lithos2003 macrumors newbie

What's the ETF on the iPhone 4 then? Because $10/month for 24 months is $240, which would mean you'd be hoping to get $840 or so selling it on ebay? I'm looking around and I see $325 as the ETF for iPhone as it is right now, so unless the 4 is higher, you either didn't realize $10/month can add up to that much or can't do math.

Either way, adding a line just to buy the phone and sell it is a crappy thing to do... I wouldn't do it.

10. mlad1101 macrumors regular

$10 dollars a month? Correct me if I'm wrong but every iPhone requires it's own data plan that is $30 a month and locked into that 2 year contract.

Also with your $10 a month figure that's $240 plus $200 or $300. You really think you will be able to unload it for $1040-1140. I doubt it.

11. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I realize $10 a month adds up. But being able to put a chunk down for my kid is worth more than $10 a month adding up.

Either way someone gets a new iPhone. Just depends on who buys it. I havent decided yet. Just want to know my options and how to execute them.

Blonde Buddhist

12. mlad1101 macrumors regular

You're still not factoring in that every iphone even if on z family plan requires it's own data plan which you are locked into a contract of carrying for 2 years. That would make your payment $40 a month or $960+tax over the life of the phone. That plus the 200-300 u paid for it you are now in the hole by selling it. It's either that or paying the ETF.

13. bobdigi macrumors regular

Yea he definitely has to pay for the data plan, unless he finds a cheap phone that doesnt require data and stick it on that line.

14. bouldermac macrumors member

:p:p:p

15. mlad1101 macrumors regular

That doesn't make a difference she/he got the iPhone subsidized not a regular phone and she signed a contract for 2 years with the data charge. She will be charged that data charge for 2 years regardless of switching to a lesser phone because she chose to sell it.

16. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

So your not able to drop the data plan after a time period? I know when I lost an iPhone I went in after realizing I wasn't able to find it and they asked me if I wanted to take the data plan off. I did that and then later in the conversation they asked me if i wanted to disable the phone. DO you have to disable the phone if your taking the data plan off?

PS: He :)

17. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Awesome, I won't be able to receive my reserved iPhone because my local Best Buy didn't receive any 32 GB iPhones, and you're going to get an extra one you don't need so that you can resell it and make a profit. Cool.

18. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

lol

19. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

The only way I would get an extra is by waiting outside the Mall of America for 6 hours, which you can do at your nearest Apple store.

begrudging me doesn't help you.

Blonde Buddhist

20. pugnut macrumors 6502a

I think they are cutting down on the additional line thing and think that the micro-sim will prevent a lot of that.

21. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

It's just an idea folks. Likely one that wont even come to fruition.

Just asking a question is all. I wasnt sure if you could cancel the data plan.

I wonder how all these phones are selling on ebay then? Seems like it'd be people with similar situations as mine.

Blonde Buddhist

22. mlad1101 macrumors regular

Firstly its now a micro-sim so not just able to switch to another phone. Secondly and most importantly if you are telling them you lost/broke your phone you are going to run into a major dilemma when the person you sold the phone to registers it and either a) it comes up as stolen/lost or b) it was reportedly broken and now is magically working again. Either way will not work out too pretty. Bottom line is you sign a contract for two years of service(including that 30 dollar data) that you are required to pay unless paying an ETF which is why they are giving you a discount off full price of the phone to begin with.

If you were to pay ETF your barely pushing the profit threshold as well. Activation+one month payment+ETF+subsidized price paid comes out to be more than full retail price. Then upon selling you will have to pay ebay fees etc. Not a great risk vs. Reward in my opinion.

23. KingHuds macrumors 6502

$10/month, plus $15 for the first months data, plus taxes and fees, plus activation charge......cut's into your profits pretty quick. Then if you sell on eBay, you have listing fees, closing fees, shipping, paypal, on top of that, the buyer can always scam/screw you over.

Why not just spend the original $200 you were gonna pay for the phone on your kid....

24. mlad1101 macrumors regular

The ideal way it is profitable is if you already have an iPhone you use under contract, you upgrade to the new one add 2 years to contract and switch back to old iPhone. Then essentially you're paying $200 for it and selling it with no fee's using your old phone for the life of the new contract you signed at the same monthly price.

25. BlondeBuddhist thread starter macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Makes sense. Still going to go wait in line to try to get the 32gb, and use the Best Buy reservation as a backup.

Thanks for the advice without damning me to hell for looking at options.

Blonde Buddhist