Holy **** my iPad just rang! :)

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iBug2, Sep 19, 2014.

1. iBug2 macrumors 68040

When I was restoring my Phone, my iPad rang, how the hell? Even if the SIM is not accessible, how can Apple direct a call coming to my iPhone to my iPad?

2. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

Do you have iOS 8? You probably could have continuity mode on or something?

3. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes both have iOS 8 but still, I thought the continuity only worked if your phone was up and running, and then you can answer a call coming to your phone from any of your devices. But my phone was not even running lol :)

4. Macdctr macrumors regular

5. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

I'm impressed. Sure it wasn't a FaceTime audio call?

6. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

It was facetime app in the iPad that rang, but the call coming was not a facetime call. It's listed as "unknown" caller and just the number appears.

Ok it happened again, I think what's going on is, if your phone is shut off and you receive a GSM call, then your iPad rings and takes down the number trying to reach you. I don't think you can answer using the iPad but at least you know which number tried to call you.

But not absolutely sure this is it.

7. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

iMpressed.

8. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

This is a continuity feature of ios 8. You should be able to answer the call.

From apples site:

9. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah I know, the weird thing is when this happened my iPhone was restoring. Or maybe it just restored and I didn't notice, so maybe it was up and running. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense unless Apple directs an inaccessible GSM call to facetime.

10. Vorpal279 macrumors member

11. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

That would have been nice when ATT screwed up our auto-pay for two iPads and "called" one of the iPad data only numbers to let us know the bill wasn't getting paid. ;)

12. declandio macrumors 6502

I have a blackberry for work, and a BB PlayBook (which I actually quite like). It does the same thing when in 'bridge mode'. The PlayBook will 'ring' if my phone rings, but can't actually answer the call. It's just forwarding the notification. Has been capable of this for at least a year.

Still iMpressed?

13. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Yeah. "Bridge-mode".

I'm amazed this didn't take off.

14. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Continuity is the most awesome thing about iOS 8 (along with App Extensions, PhotoKit and Touch ID APIs). Can't wait for Yosemite... oh wait, my 2010 MBP doesn't even support BLueooth LE.... :(

----------

Settings->Facetime->iPhone Cellular Calls

15. Planey28 macrumors 6502

You don't need BTLE for the SMS and call relay features. That's only for handoff.

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What you're describing isn't possible. The cellular call would be directed at the iPhone and only the iPhone. The iPhone would then tell Apple's push notification servers that it's getting a call as well as the number. Apple push notification servers would then send a notification to all other registered devices that the iPhone is receiving a call with the number. The user can then accept the call from an iPad using the iPhone's cellular abilities to take the call while transferring the audio over a local WiFi network and using the iPad as a headset of sorts. In no way can the iPad take or make with a cellular phone call without being connected to an iPhone on the same local network. In short, a fully working iPhone is required. Same goes for SMS relaying.

17. declandio macrumors 6502

Likewise

It works well man, especially for work stuff. Think different ;)

18. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Oh, I didn't realize that. Good to know. Thanks!

19. deviant macrumors 65816

Oh, believe me, apple will find a way to screw our older macs and say "Sorry, needs new Mac because... because MONEY."

20. deviant macrumors 65816

I hope not.. because i still use my 2007 iMac, which is pretty amazing considering it's 7 years old, but SSDs do wonders. But hey.. At least i've got the "right" model of the MBA

21. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I had that same combo for a long time. Nearly two years now. My BB died and was no longer being made so I ended up buying a Galaxy S2 on T-Mobile.

Things haven't been so great on my iOS 8 experience. My iPhone 5 has the Wi-Fi calling feature disabled despite being the same hardware as the iPhone 5C that did.

Also, I'm not sure if my iPad 2 is able take advantage of continuity. Tried texting from my iPad to a friend who has an Android phone. The text turns red.

I sold my old PlayBook and do miss it a bit. Now they have become a tough find in good shape for a fair price.

I loved recording video with it due to the stereo microphones and for a fixed focus camera, video capture on that thing was great and way ahead of the curve with cameras on tablets for it's time.

Great little tablet that never took off since vital features that were not available to users unless they owned a BlackBerry phone in bridge mode.

RIM let it slide too long and the 2.0 firmware update that added those features was after it's reputation was done for. I loved playing Dead Space on it though.

22. In Utopia, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

In Utopia macrumors regular

23. declandio macrumors 6502

Not sure where you're based but you can get a playbook brand new for around £60-£80 depending on the model (mine is the LTE version), because nobody bought them! There's still seems to be plenty of new stock around at fantastic prices if you look around and still want one…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...laybook&_dcat=171485&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3

But if you don't have a blackberry anymore to utilise bridge mode, then maybe it's not worth it… the work phone I have is a 9360. They gave me a 9900 recently but I like the little 9360 so am still using that, it's small and light and does everything I need in terms of email… combined with a playbook, it's a great combination. Nice little phone for what I need it for. Very robust too; I've lost count of the number of times I've dropped it in a basement plant room where I'd rather not bring my own iPhone, the thing just bounces when an iPhone would smash…

Main reason I got a playbook (wasn't given to me by work) was because it was dirt cheap and my 4 year old nephew is quite happy messing about with it, which saves my iPad from his abuse and slobber…. but now I use it for more than a nephew distractor! It basically has 'free' internet; the IT guy doesn't seem to realise/care that I connect it to the handset for web connectivity outside of work time… which is nice!

24. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Got my iPad to work along with my iPhone 5 and it's neat to see them work in harmony.

As far as finding another PlayBook it's been a tough find. I'm Located in the USA and I have found more out of territory (Canada) and other long drives that just don't justify the journey for a 16GB model. I'd like to get a 64GB unit with a rapid charger that uses the pogo pins. Someday I will come across the right price as well as being a bit closer too.

I'd rather spend the money on a new iPad Air first since my iPad 2 is really showing it's age with iOS 8. Then continue the hunt for gizmos I love.