Holy! Now I'm the guy thats panicking!! Need help asap!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mach1andy, Apr 27, 2007.

1. mach1andy macrumors regular

So today was a great day-- my boss told me I could get a MBP. I transfered everything from my iMac G5 to this sweet little machine and after 3 hours, it was completed.

After I made necessary tweaks, I noticed the user was still called iMac (my old machine). So I entered Apple + I (info) and changed the name to Andy and when I was done, the computer basically got retarted. After a restart, Andy, my main user, was a default user profile with a new desktop, no info and all of my old stuff wasn't where it always was!

So I navigated to Hard Drive-->Users--> and I see 'Andy' with all of my stuff in it (whew). I see a Home icon that says 'iMac' but its not a user (I dont think) -- there's nothing in it and I can't go to it under 'users'-- theres just Andy with a shortname 'iMac'. Now heres where I'm confused::

I'm logged-on as 'Andy' but theres nothing on the desktop, data in my programs under that user, but there is when I navigate there through the finder, how do I fix this? Has anyone else experienced this? It happened when I did the apple + i and changed the user from imac to andy... Please help!!

2. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

swiftaw, Thank you!

Thank you thank you thank you! After 6 years of being a mac user, I made a newbie mistake that almost threw me into a kernal panic! Luckily, you saved me a long night of being awake! Thank you!

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

yeah, you can't do that. Just make a new user account, transfer what you need there, set your preferences manually, and after a few days or so delete the old account and the new folder that has been created in the home directory.

edit : too late