Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Nice. It almost looks like the railings above stick out too far to allow the TV to mount. Probably just an optical illusion...

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
emw said:
Nice. It almost looks like the railings above stick out too far to allow the TV to mount. Probably just an optical illusion...
Considering the TV is probably angled down for people on floor-level to see... yuh ;)

BV, that's a Dell Poweredge, isn't it? I had a dual P2 in one of those monolithic cases... noisy SCSI drives and all. Yuck!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
brap said:
Considering the TV is probably angled down for people on floor-level to see... yuh ;)
Yes, but the amount the bracket sticks out will determine how much the TV can actually angle. It just looked like it didn't stick out very much.

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
This may be too late...

I founded a graphic design group years ago, which had a number of partners... after some disputes about how I manage things a few of the partners left off to form their own company and later were taken into another multimedia firm. They specialize in having displays (most flat plasma/lcd displays) at high traffic areas which run ads 24/7. They use Sony media boxes specially designed just to run video ads constantly, rotate them and such. They are fully controlled over the internet, which makes things easier for them because some of the locations are too far away.

They went with this solution after running Windows 2000 machines and having them crash repeatedly (I would have run Linux).

Later on this might be something to look into.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
brap said:

BV, that's a Dell Poweredge, isn't it? I had a dual P2 in one of those monolithic cases... noisy SCSI drives and all. Yuck!

The beige box on the left is for when people come for interviews for admin posts: they have to do a test to assess their Office skills.

Edit: Do you mean that black thing? That's some unholy thing that belongs to IT -- some kind of server.

The (new) PC on the right is an NEC PC with a Pentium of some flavour in it (or so it says on the label) with XP Pro (ick), 1gb RAM, DVD-R... Really, it had to just be a relatively straightforward machine -- I would have preferred a Mac but IT wouldn't support it. Arseholes.

And yes, the railings jut out. The plasma is mounted on a bracket which enables it to be tilted downwards...

On the way into the office this morning, I have to pick up a digital timer for the plasma because we really just want to set it and forget it.

To keep management happy, we've thrown up a short temporary presentation done in Acrobat for now. Why Acrobat? Goes full-screen, you can have transitions (like fades), can generate quick RGB slides in Quark & Pshop and distill them... the Flash will have to come later when I can get my head around a training book I recently purchased.

emw: 6 months is pretty speedy for our organisation, especially if it involves cross-team coordination. Endless meetings: the horror, the horror.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
The horrible PCs days are numbered. Just ordered a dual 2ghz PM to run these presentations... :D

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
err, i'll swap you my lovely mint g4 cube complete with radeon 9700 120GB HD and a 550MHz cpu for that g5's it'll play those presentations just as well, honest ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.