Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Slipper, you stole my thunder !

slipper said:
lol ladies gentlemen and online badasses. i was bored and did the vPod. but i think its a great idea to intergrate quicktime and sell music videos on iTunes. i came up with this because i no longer buy CDs from the music stores but instead music video DVDs and play those in my car for my listening pleasure and viewing pleasure of my passengers.

I was thinking EXACTLY along the same lines, started mocking up and was gonna have some fun - then you did it !

Seriously though, good mockup though I do agree more buttons would be needed !

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Doctor Q said:
Hey, no problem!

Play: Press button #1.
Pause: Press button #2.
Stop: Press button #3.
Mute: Press button #4.
Volume up: Press buttons #1 and #2.
Volume down: Press buttons #1 and #3.
Skip back: Press buttons #1 and #4.
Skip forward: Press buttons #2 and #3.
Scan back: Press buttons #2 and #4.
Scan forward: Press buttons #3 and #4.
Top menu: Press buttons #1 and #2 and #3.
Menu: Press buttons #1 and #2 and #4.
Previous menu choice: Press buttons #1 and #3 and #4.
Next menu choice: Press buttons #2 and #3 and #4.
Options: Press buttons #1 and #2 and #3 and #4.
:D

kettle

macrumors 65816
SpaceMagic said:
Wow, i read this and took it as a fun joke. Its good photoshop work. Obviously a joke... smirked.

Then i read all your replies and you all take it so seriously! Lighten up people!

"We at macrumors laugh at your feeble attempt."

For example. I wouldn't call it feeble. I cant use PS as well as that.

Are you really saying that we are ALL taking this thread too seriously? Where do you get off telling people to lighten up? What is your PROBLEM!? I mean, how dare you claim to be the authority on acceptable levels of humour dryness. :rolleyes:

on a serious note, just because something is better than you can do, doesn't mean it's not feeble. That thought process lands people on TV talent shows, victims of there own relative ability disorder.

I'm posting in this thread, because "slipper" made a good contribution to this site with a big pile of fake, it's all the fun of the fair, you join in and if you don't manage to fool everyone then you go down in a blaze of ridicule, it's exactly what I expect and love from Macrumors contributors.

Maybe SpaceMagic is a master of a higher form of humour that went clear over my head, I'm willing to plead ignorance.

Portable video is pointless as entertainment and undesirable in personal communication. I mean how would you lie to your boss (or anyone) if they could see your face? A telephone is a useful tool without visuals and adding a lie detector would weaken it.

kettle

macrumors 65816
Doctor Q said:
Hey, no problem!

Play: Press button #1.
Pause: Press button #2.
Stop: Press button #3.
Mute: Press button #4.
Volume up: Press buttons #1 and #2.
Volume down: Press buttons #1 and #3.
Skip back: Press buttons #1 and #4.
Skip forward: Press buttons #2 and #3.
Scan back: Press buttons #2 and #4.
Scan forward: Press buttons #3 and #4.
Top menu: Press buttons #1 and #2 and #3.
Menu: Press buttons #1 and #2 and #4.
Previous menu choice: Press buttons #1 and #3 and #4.
Next menu choice: Press buttons #2 and #3 and #4.
Options: Press buttons #1 and #2 and #3 and #4.

now that is funny.
If you had said vPod was made by iRiver or sony, This whole thing becomes scarily realistic.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
shecky said:
one of these days Humans will realize that watching videos of any kind on a 3" screen gets really old, really quickly.

True. If Apple were to make a video "anything", it would incorporate a pair of eyeglasses that act as a screen. Maybe the video is stored in flash memory in the arms of the glasses. This way, the screen appears large as it's taking up a large amount of your visual field size, or peripheral vision, or whatever they call it. It would never work as an external 3" screen that you need to hold for 2-3 hours.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
there should be a legit thread of people showing designs of a 'vPod' . . . that seems oddly familiar, maybe i saw it on ipodlounge or somewhere. i personally thing the vPod or powerPod should go along with the PM/PB motif and have the brushed Al. have a wide screen and some sort of mini click wheel. then the buttons on the mini click wheel would rotate (or move) depending on the orientation. portrait for playing music, landscape for viewing movies. i dont know, just a thought, no more rediculous than the pic in this thread!

ezkimo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
Since this has kinda but not really turned into a future apple hardware thread I figured I would post something I made one rainy day.

Also posting a vPod I made, which coincidentally had a link posted to it earlier

Attachments

• metronome.jpg
    metronome.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 79
  • vpod.jpg
    vpod.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 78

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
GeeYouEye said:
Who would want to watch a movie at what could be at best 320x240?

I would and I do. HP Jornada 568 Pocket PC with 2x 1GB CF cards good for 1.5 full length movies before it craps out. I used it on a trip from MN to BWI airport. The trip was 2 hours and then I was stuck for about 45 minutes at the airport. Killed time watching last samurai on the plane and Episode 1 of Father of the Pride. The screen res is perfectly fine on a PDA size screen. We aren't talking projecting the image on a theatre wall here.

PS. I have the following on 2x 1GB CF cards:

-about 80 songs I think.
-5 e-books (I think around 5-10MB stored on the internal RAM)
-Movies:
last samurai (200MB)
Pulp Fiction (200MB)
Father of the Pride Episodes 1-2 (60MB/60MB)
The Matrix (200MB)
Ice Age (200MB)
Aliens (200MB)
At any given time 1-3 episodes of Stargate SG-1 depending on the space I have. (200MB)

1GB SD cards are falling below the 3 digit figure. I'll prob pick up 3 of those cards in the next few months when I get my next PDA that will have a 4" screen and SD built in. But its one thing for a tech head like myself to do this. Another for the general public. Its too early for a video iPod. Maybe in a year or two. Apple should hurry though. Video on demand is starting to take off. Netflex is mulling over wether or not they are going to have such a system available and there is rumor they are teaming up with Tivo.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
slipper said:
this was just added to the apple site but apparently it will be available for order oct. 22 and be shipping sometime before christmas.

whats new is iTunes 5 will be completely intergrated with quicktime. iTunes Music Store will now sell music videos, a new 60gb harddrive, and bluetooth connectivity.

vPodiPod.jpg

*copied from the apple web site*

if your going to do a fake up dont make out it is real if your going to make it real make it convinveing, aka dont use shrek as it is made by pixars competitor and steve jobs is the ceo of pixar and virtually owns it.

second off don't post and image as a link to your own site

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Hector said:
if your going to do a fake up dont make out it is real if your going to make it real make it convinveing, aka dont use shrek as it is made by pixars competitor and steve jobs is the ceo of pixar and virtually owns it.

second off don't post and image as a link to your own site
alright online badass your taking this post way to seriously, take a freackin chill pill. btw have you checked the site? its was a school project many years ago and its mostly down.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Abstract said:
True. If Apple were to make a video "anything", it would incorporate a pair of eyeglasses that act as a screen. Maybe the video is stored in flash memory in the arms of the glasses. This way, the screen appears large as it's taking up a large amount of your visual field size, or peripheral vision, or whatever they call it. It would never work as an external 3" screen that you need to hold for 2-3 hours.

Yeah, thats the real future of portable video...that or actually broadcasting it into the retina - hows that idea for spacey :). Tech is getting pretty close to be able to do it right. Definetly by 2010... :rolleyes:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Exactly, they'll be able to "do it right" in the future, not do it with a 3" screen. That isn't doing it right. Any attempt to do it with the 3" LCD tech we have now isn't going to work. Portable DVD players with much larger screens don't sell, so what makes people think this will be any more useful? The person who does it right is the person who doesn't do it with a small screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.