Holy smudges

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Warped1, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Warped1 macrumors member

You'd think I was eating fried chicken and handling the phone. I never would have guessed I was so slimey lol.

It begs to ask who in their right mind during the design process thought it was a good idea to use that backing material. Oh how I would trade for the old phones back.

2. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Is there any film or plastic that I can put on the back to hide the smudges?

Just wondering, I don't think the smudges will bother me though. I quick wipe will do me fine.

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Yah that's what i've been hearing. I might go with White if i dump my 1st gen if that's really the case.

4. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

Honestly, the smudges on the black plastic back of my phone aren't any worse looking than the ones one the glass front.

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

It's obvious that the iPhone 3G will smudge. It has a glass screen. Glass = smudge. What else could they have used? WRT the back, the plastic improves reception. I'd rather have some smudges than poor reception.

I find that the included cleaning cloth works pretty well, actually.

6. crowdedstr macrumors member

It definitely picks up fingerprints... but the white one isn't quite as bad as the black. Just buy one of those skin things for it...

7. Warped1 thread starter macrumors member

Once the black back smudges from top to bottom it really doesn't matter since its not in just a single area so do not let that be the determining factor when choosing color. IMO

8. Warped1 thread starter macrumors member

I do not find the reception better than the first version in my home. Which is very poor. I think I got slightly better with the first on edge compared to 3g on edge but at&ts coverage has gotten worse in my area believe it or not.

9. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

White one has an advantage over black when it comes to smudges. It's funny, but we are a dirty species. :D

I have a really nice high dollar Les Paul guitar. I've actually taken to washing my hands before I play her. While that's not practical for a phone user, here's a good tip I use on my guitar.

It's called the hot breath treatment. The cloth Apple gives us to clean is good, but a little hot breath on the front just before you wipe with that cloth does absolute wonders. I rarely have the cloth, so I most often use my shirt. The moist hot breath helps a lot.

(Dang, sounds like a p@rn post!):eek:

10. WeakAdrenaline macrumors newbie

I just wipe it with my shirt. I have a screen protector on so it won't get scratched and I could really care less about the smudging. I only notice it when my phone is asleep.

11. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

the Zagg InvisibleShield is great if you don't want fingerprints. Aside from the (negligible, IMO) orange peel texture, it really does not dull the shine of the back. Smudges wipe off really easily.

12. emaja macrumors 68000

Does anybody just use their iPhone, or just worry about smudges and scuffs - LOL

Seriously, get a case and when it gets all smudgey - clean it when you get home. It is a phone and unless you plan on using it with rubbed gloves on, it will show signs of use.

13. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

You guys tricked me macrumors! I got a black 16gb and friend chicken prints were on the back in seconds!!! after You macrumors convinced me to get black now Im waiting til the white one comes in to exchange it ( got a direct fulfillment order ) :D so white iPhone here I come! I kinda wanted the white even when the unboxings came and then just played it safe with black ,yuck. Sorry Black iphone you are sexy dirty whore.:cool:

14. jakeacc macrumors regular

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Wash your hands more often and buy a damn cloth :p

Yes, it gets finger prints all over it relatively quickly, but come on, it's not that bad!

16. yorkslad macrumors regular

Included in the box you got with the iPhone is a little black cloth. I find if I actually take it out and rub it on my iPhone all smudges disappear.....spot on Apple for inventing such a wonderful accessory ;)

17. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I've noticed it smudges easy too. The entire phone. I keep the cloth on me and use it a few times a day. IMO, it doesn't scratch as easy. The back. With my Touch, i'd look at it and it had hairline scratches on the back. As of now, my iPhone is used naked but kept in a pouch that was made for the Touch. It almost makes it. The top sticks out a bit. All the times it's been out of the pouch, i'm suprised there isn't one mark on the back. I'm going to get a case, even though i hate to, because i'm so afraid of dropping it.

PS. I like to use the cloth that comes with the Apple Monitors. The big grey one.

18. kevuwk macrumors newbie

hot breath = moisture on the screen, doesnt really matter where you get that moisture from but too much is a bad thing obviously

19. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Apple's own instructions say to use a lightly damp cloth being careful not to get any water into the ports. I'm guessing a minute amount of breath condensation ain't hurtin' nuttin'.

20. mark34 macrumors 6502a

I have OCD when it comes to these things... White is bliss