Holy SSD Batman!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nickosbad, Mar 4, 2013.

1. nickosbad macrumors regular

Hello hello!!!

I've been contemplating replacing my 2010 3.06 i3 imac with a new shiny one as I was experiencing some sluggish performance

In the end I decided that £600 to upgrade to a new imac was not worth it so decided instead to install a 128GB Samsung SSD in an optibay, upgrade my ram to 8GB and fresh install Lion

I did this yesterday and WOW!!! £130 well spent.......this thing flies!!!

It boots up incredibly fast and my apps no longer bounce endlessly when starting....they dont bounce at all!!! I've put all apps and the OS on the SSD and kept the internal HDD as Media storage

Granted....it won't make my handbrake encodes quicker but I do them overnight anyway!

For anyone looking o get some more out of their imacs....DO IT!!!

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

No question this was the thing to do! An SSD is the best thing you can do for any computer. Glad you're enjoying it!

3. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I had the HD replaced by Apple in my 09 27" and put in another 12GB ram and it flies.

4. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

Glad you are loving it, hands down an SSD is one of the best things to do, even older machines feel like new without the mechanical bottleneck.

5. maiden666 macrumors newbie

How do you go about doing this,say on a new 2012 imac.
    How do you put the os onto it and apps.
    is it an easy thing to do,curious about this.

ian

6. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

Anyone this day and age still buying old mechanical hard drives are not thinking straight. SSD is a no-brainer. Anything else, even a Fusion Drive is just a punishment to your computer.

7. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Welcome to the club!

I replaced my 1st gen 17"MBP with a 2010 21.5" iMac (with the 3.2GHz i3) last November, and plopped a 120GB Corsair SSD in it (that had been in the MBP) as well as added RAM for 8GB total. A far, far better value than buying the new iMac, which doesn't even offer a pure SSD option on the 21.5". Personally, I will never operate a machine that has an internal HD in it again.

Go to iFixit and on step 9, they remove the hard drive, which you would replace with an SSD and then work backwards to put it back together. Don't forget to tape the screen back on.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+Teardown/11936/1

8. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

This is the reason Im holding off buying a new Imac..i have a old Imac and old pc that both use ssd harddrives...the difference is unreal.

9. maiden666 macrumors newbie

I meant having one has a external drive on the new 2012 iMac.
    Having the OS and apps on the external ssd,and files and folders on the mac.

Ian