Holy ****! This $25 NES style bluetooth gaming controller changes EVERYTHING...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ap3604, Feb 13, 2012.

1. ap3604, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

ap3604 macrumors 68000

http://www.thinkgeek.com/blog/2012/02/introducing-the-8bitty-control.html#gamelist

I have wanted a bluetooth gaming controller for the iPhone since it came out to play the SNES, NES, GBA, N64 emulators.

The only problem?

iControlPad (Europe) or iCade (iPad) cost anywhere from $80 - 100! :eek: What a damn rip off.

Finally though it seems there is going to be an affordable bluetooth gaming controller coming soon for only $25 called the 8-bitty!

Portable gaming will never be the same again...

[​IMG]

Edit: Heres a link with a video on engadget -- http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/13/icade-8-bitty-hands-on/

2. cynics macrumors G4

Isn't there a way to just use a wii remote like with other phone os's?

3. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

the wiimote obviously doesn't have the dpad + start/select + 6 buttons so its a pretty bad gaming experience for anything needed multi button presses at the same time (say firing a missle while jumping on metroid fusion). Plus you can't play any emulator that needs the shoulder buttons because they aren't there on the wiimote.

The 8-bitty is perfect in feel, button layout and the same price or even lower than a wiimote so theres no reason not to...

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

er he was taking about the wii classic controller

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

this is made by iCade also TS...

The think geek version (different skin only) called 8-bitty is weird since it has 4 buttons like the Snes but the look of a Nes controller I would had called it 12-bittty. Does it even have shoulder buttons though? the way the 4 buttons are placed is also cumbersome, needs the top row to be offset from the bottom for ergonomics and it looks pretty thick for this day and age.

Also, this thing doesn't change everything at all. Watch it be on clearance a couple of months later. Nobody is gonna carry it since it's separate and bulky. In your house you would have to stand the phone to play properly; too many hassles...

6. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

It seems that you like to complain about being able to have actual gaming options... strange :confused:

That is simple minded thinking. This thing could easily end up becoming a staple of the iPhone gaming since its really the best and only option out there when you compare layout and price.

Show me a bluetooth gaming controller for the iPhone that:
    a) can be carried in your pocket like this
    b) has all the buttons you need (unlike wiimote)
    c) and is $25 or less

and then I'll be happy to listen to you whine about this one. Until then you are out of your mind ;)

I'm still waiting...

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the wii classic controller

Works if you jailbreak and gives you more games as you alluded to.

I imagine the icade one is limited to icade games...

8. cynics macrumors G4

I think it's cool it just sucks we can't use what's already available. I'd pick one up if I had an iPad.

9. ap3604, Feb 13, 2012

ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

The wii classic controller isn't as portable and has to be plugged into a regular bluetooth wiimote to work... not convenient and more expensive than the 8bitty.

The 2:10 mark of the video below shows how inconvenient having to carry around BOTH wii classic controller + bluetooth wiimote would be to carry around...

No way in hell both the wiimote & wiimote classic controller could fit in your pocket so thanks but no thanks!

I'll stick with the less expensive 8bitty that actually does fit in my pocket :p

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I really wish icade made it be like the SNES controller

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Ergonomics are what makes or breaks a controller ;)

The same was said about the iCade cabinet and is on clearance everywhere.

There are many projects and hell you even mentioned one project exactly one year ago here in MR: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1098960
    Unless you are a woman or like to carry purses; carrying something like this in your pocket makes you look ridiculous and is uncomfortable to walk... Price is ok, but it does not have all the buttons you need; like I said does it have trigger or side buttons? If not then you are reducing it to games with only 4 buttons.

Sigh... I though I was giving my opinions to an adult not a kid.

12. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

Exactly right... and since there isn't a single other option out there like the 8-bitty then there isn't any reason to complain about it somehow lacking. It's not like it really has any real competition (trying to lug around a wiimote + wiimote classic controller to have to plug into one another to simply do what the 8-bitty already does for less $ is dogs***).

You can't compare a $100 iCade that works on a $500 iPad that not as many people have to a $25 bluetooth controller that works with the iPhone... two different animals since alot more people have iPhones and this is much more suited to catch on and become a massive hit gaming wise since its only $25

Yeah exactly as I said... I'm still waiting for you to show me an ACTUAL option coming out in the next two months like this one is that has:
    - low price ($25 or less)
    - all the buttons needed (4 on front + 2 shoulder)
    - as small as an NES controller

Quite simply you can't. You can make up excuses like you are trying to do right now and say "Well there are theoretical projects that might come out in the future" but the truth is that you can't. Because this is the only option that fulfills those 3 needs above for the public to catch on. Nice try though ;)

You obviously haven't even read the article or seen the video, just are simply trying to be negative over the imaginary lack of a feature the 8-bitty already has. Go read the article, watch the video, see the side buttons, and quit complaining when theres nothing to complain about :rolleyes:

13. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

U play games on that little 3.5" display?

Why bother? :eek:

14. mattraehl macrumors 6502

I really think Apple should create an accessory that attaches to the iPhone to give it a d-pad, analog sticks, and buttons. Basically give it parity with a 3DS or PS Vita.

The iPhone has the horsepower, connectivity, and digital storefront to be an incredible gaming device. But touch-only really limits its potential. Of course it would be an extra thing to carry - but so is a 3DS or a PS Vita.

As for the 8-bitty, I feel like they missed the boat by not including a clip to attach the iPhone to it. I'm still considering getting one to play Super Crate Box though.

15. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

Ur talking about the 3.5" iphone, (not the ipad)? :confused:

16. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

That guy doesn't even have a working prototype it seems...

It's a nice idea, just that its not coming anytime in the next year (if ever).

The 8-bitty though is coming out in the next 2 months :)

17. ap3604, Feb 13, 2012

ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

The 8-bitty bluetooth controller only costs $25...

The only iControlPad option available costs $80 once you factor in shipping to U.S. cost! :(

No way in hell I would pay THREE TIMES as much for practically the same thing (bluetooth gaming controller)

http://www.icontrolpad.com/cgi-bin/submit3.pl

18. JAT macrumors 603

19. jwm2 macrumors regular

That does look pretty sweet regardless. I would rather have the prototype new controller but i don't have any faith that guy can get it done.

20. DroidRules, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

DroidRules macrumors 65816

So what are they paying you to come here on MR and defend their product almost to the point of being silly?

Not something I would buy related to the looks but you seem to be happy enough about it for the both of us. Good try but a more attractive and ergonomic alternative is in order.

21. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

Going through your post history your nothing but a childlike troll so I'll simply copy and paste the response someone else gave which is appropriate for someone of your low maturity :rolleyes:

Obviously the product has potential so for idiots to come on here and immediately try to falsely trash it seemed appropriate for me to respond accordingly.

Don't like the thread or the product? Get lost...

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If you want a car, you don't add two wheels to a bike, you get a car. If you want to game, get a gaming device.

23. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Will this even work with emulators? I thought it only worked with specific icade ready games?