Home and End keys on the wired Apple keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PaulKemp, Dec 19, 2012.

1. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Hello everybody,

I want to use the "home" and "end" keys on my apple wired keyboard as actual home and end keys. I want to go to the end and the beginning of a line. How is this actually done? I would like them to work the same way as they do on a windows keyboard.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

bump...I'm using the old school full size wireless and would also like to know.

3. ZivaD macrumors member

ZivaD

4. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

What kind of keyboard you're using isn't relevant; the operating system is. On the Mac, Home and End go to the beginning and end of a document, not the beginning or end of a line (and thus are like, I believe, Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End on Windows).

To do what you want, use the Cmd+Left Arrow or Cmd+Right Arrow shortcut instead.

EDIT: I should mention that you can probably use some tool to remap these if you really want (like KeyRemap4MacBook, which I believe involves a kernel extension, and which despite its name works on any Mac). But personally, I wouldn't do it--the native OS X shortcuts are easy to get the hang of once you train yourself to hit them on a Mac, plus learning them will make you much more comfortable when using a Mac that isn't your own.

5. PaulKemp thread starter macrumors 6502

This should REALLY be in every "windows to OS X guide". IT'S SO ESSENSIAL! :eek: Great thanks.

Anyway, I'll look into some re-mapping tools.

6. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

No problem. You may be interested in the following Microsoft resource, which accurately describes some common shortcut equivalences between Windows and Mac:

Apple also has a list of common OS X shortcuts, but they do not mention equivalents in other OSes:

Finally, while it's obviously your choice, I'd again strongly suggest learning the new shortcut rather than remapping it. This will be much less confusing when you're on another Mac, and it's more stable than trusting a kernel extension (potential compatibility issues with new versions, etc.). I think you'll find yourself able to adapt based on what computer you're using, or at least that's been my experience.

7. PaulKemp thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, its really simple. But there is some behaviour of the cmd key that is unique. Being a "pro" windows user, the only issues I've been having is the end and home keys.
    Thanks!