Home and End keys

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mosey, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Mosey macrumors member

I'm still in the process of switching from a PC to a Mac. I noticed the Home and End keys work differently. For example, on a PC if I put the cursor in a small text entry window, such as the address field of web browser, the Home key will take me to the beginning of the line and the End key will take me to the end of the line. That doesn't work on the Mac. The Home key moves the cursor to the top of the web page and the End key moves the cursor to the end of the web page. It's a little annoying that way. Is there a way to make the Home and End keys work only within the text window?

2. joefinan macrumors 6502a

3. Mosey thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I don't have and "fn" key, just F1 through F16. I'm on a Mac Pro at work and an iMac at home, both have the same keyboard.

4. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Oh. Mine is to the left of my Home key (on my Mac Pro and iMac)

Attached Files:

5. Mosey thread starter macrumors member

Do you have the thin keyboard? I have the standard one. I have a "help" key in the location where you have the "fn".

6. email68 macrumors regular

I think its cmd + end or home.

7. joefinan macrumors 6502a

I do have the thin keyboard. If the above doesn't work then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

Good luck...!

8. portent macrumors 6502a

In text fields, use the up arrow key to go to the beginning, and the down arrow to go to the end. (Think of it as if the insertion point "bumps up" against the top/bottom of the text field and goes to the beginning/end)

Command-left arrow and Command-right arrow will also take you to the beginning/end of the current line in a text area.

9. Mosey thread starter macrumors member

portent, Yes that worked! The up arrow goes to the beginning and the down arrow goes to the end. Control-left Arrow goes to the beginning and Control-right Arrow goes to the end. Thanks for your help.

joefinan and email68, thanks for your efforts also.

10. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

That's the same way I do it, though Fn-Home/End sounds more logical (didn't know that one). Thanks.