Home and Net Shared drives appear on desktop?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by msw123307, Dec 11, 2009.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I'm using SL, and these do appear to be hidden files. But they are drives (shared apparently, blue with the people on the drive as the logo), and if I click get info it says under server: file//localhost/home. The "net" drive appears as file//localhost/net. Sharing and permissions says - you can only read.

I definitely don't run any servers, just browsing for the most part. I haven't noticed this drive until today. I did some searching and found some people with a similar issue, but no real answer. I don't think it's anything to worry about. But any ideas?

2. gapman macrumors newbie

I also have these shared drives showing up on my iMac. Has anyone figured out what they are and what they are used for? Even if I try to "eject" the drives they stay there, so I would really like to find out how they got there.

3. tcano macrumors newbie

I have this same issue

I just noticed it today. Two hidden shortcuts to mountpoints /home and /net on my desktop (servers file://localhost/net and file://localhost/home). I did some digging, and it looks like the shortcuts were created approximately 15 minutes after I installed the OS X 10.6.7 update. I wonder if this has something to do with it? I also installed the "Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 4" at the same time. Does this correlate with what others have seen?

Seems to have something to do with autofs...