Home and Remote Mac Network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrisbris, Nov 26, 2010.

1. chrisbris macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Long time lurker here on MacRumors but posting now in hope of some set up advice.

I am a mac enthusiast and in now way a mac expert - more of a power user.

Currently own
    MacMini Server (Earl 2010) - used with Plex as a media centre - not really utilizing the server elements of the OS - all my movies, music, photos stored here
    24” Imac (2008)
    and just ordered a MacBook Air 13” in the sale yesterday to replace my old macbook.

Along with this I have a time capsule 1gb plugged into a Billion BiPAC 7401VGP. I have a mobile me account.

I was wanting to start taking advantage of the abilities of server to have a central place where all my documents are stored, itunes library, aperture library and other media. Also wanting a way to access these files when away from home via some sort of remote access to the MacMini server.

Back to my mac does not seem to work as it does not seem to register my home computer when I am away (think it may have something to do with the way the billion needs to be configured.

I tried making a VPN client from the server and installing it on the laptop but it does not seem to make the connection. I unblock/forwarded the ports in the server set up instructions.

SO... Any advice to make the use of the network would be appreciated!!

Thanks

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Simplest thing you can do is download Teamviewer to each of your macs, install it, and use that for remote access.

You can create a constant password, a group in which all of your systems are visible when you are logged in to your account via the TeamViewer Control panel on each mac, and from each mac you can do Remote Control (VNC), Remote File Access (similar to sFTP), Presentations, Chat, etc.

I have used it for a while for each of my computers, and occasionally help my mom with stuff 400 miles away.

check it out at www.teamviewer.com.

best,