Home Audio + Airplay speaker setup

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by keith4594, Sep 23, 2012.

1. keith4594 macrumors member

Ok so we plan on getting rid of our kitchen radio but keeping the speakers belonging to them , we are going to embed an iPad into one of the kitchen doors like this http://goo.gl/bghsh the ipad is going to have iTunes match on it and other local radio stations aswell but were stuck cause we want to have the kitchen speakers connected via the 3.5 headphone jack but the dont connect because the have red and black wires that they have to clip into,

Anyone know what i need to convert them i know griffin have this which i want but its not available yet
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/twenty

Thanks in advance

Keith4594

2. warvanov macrumors 6502a

You need something like this. That's what I have at my desk. It's just a little amplifier that handles one audio source and a single paif of speakers. You could also get a full blown receiver but that would probably be overkill for your purposes, and this is smaller and would be easier to install in the kitchen.

3. keith4594 thread starter macrumors member

this is perfect for what i need i just didnt know what i was really looking for
    do you think i could hook up and airport express to it

Keith4594

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yep - you can use THIS.

5. keith4594 thread starter macrumors member

excellent i will post a pic when i get it done

thanks again

6. warvanov macrumors 6502a

The amp I posted accepts both 3.5mm stereo mini plug as well as the standard red/white RCA plugs. From an APX you can use either 3.5mm to 3.5mm or 3.5mm to RCA, depending on what you might already have on hand.

7. keith4594 thread starter macrumors member

thanks your a life saver

8. lanayapiper macrumors newbie

Wow! This is cool! Thanks for sharing!

9. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I bought two of those Lepai amps to use for Airplay (via Airport express units). They work great.

I am concerned about the reliability, though. One of the amps is starting to give me some notable hiss, even with no input connected. It's holding in there, but I won't be surprised it it dies one of these days (I've had these for about 6 months).