Home Audio Receiver Compatible with AppleTV....

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by TrentS, Dec 6, 2013.

1. TrentS macrumors 6502

TrentS

I have a Philips 47" HD TV bought back in late 2008 that has speakers on the backside of the TV, which I do not like. What I would like to do is buy an audio unit that I can hook up to my AppleTV and also regular speakers that I've had forever ( ones that actually take speaker wire hook-ups ). Any suggestions on what I should get? Preferrably something within the price range of $100-$200. Is there a certain receiver unit which would have a digital optical cable IN and regular positive/negative speaker wires running OUT?

:confused:

2. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

You should be able to find a Pioneer or Yamaha unit with normal binding posts (not spring loaded terminals) and several HDMI inputs in the $200 range. You really shouldn't need an optical digital input unless you're only looking for a stereo receiver and don't care about it doing any video switching as well.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

do you use any other sources with this TV? cable box, blu-ray, game console?

here is one with 4 HDMI, 1 optical, 3 analog inputs, it's a denon.
    the pioneer and yamaha versions start about $300.

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

It's really not a matter of being compatible with the Apple TV. The Apple TV uses industry standard AV interfaces (HDMI and optical; and component video and audio if talking Gen 1 Apple TV).

So you just need a modern AV receiver that accepts HDMI and optical inputs that meets your budget requirements. I'd suggest you have at least 3 HDMI inputs for future expansion, one HDMI output to let the AV unit do all your switching. Optical in is nice but not necessary if you connect all your components via HDMI. Although it's tough to find a modern AV receiver that DOESN'T accept optical.--oh, and to answer your question specifically, yes, any modern AV receiver that accepts optical will output it over regular speaker wires.

In the sub $200 range you can probably find options from Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon--any of which will be a good AV receiver for that price range. I like Yamaha for the easy setup and intuitive menus. And, again personal prefer only, stay away from the bargain basement brands like Insignia. Look for sale prices on previous gen models and you can get a $250-300 for $200 or less.

5. TrentS thread starter macrumors 6502

TrentS

Thanks!

Thanks for the input Marzer. I'm still shopping around trying to find something. I'd hate to throw away all my 4 speakers I already have mounted on my living room walls, just because they are not digital or wireless. If I can get them hooked up somehow running off the AppleTV, I'll be happy!

:) :) :)

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Does your TV have an optical audio output? If so, all you need is a receiver with an optical input, which should expand your options.

I have a 13-year-old RCA 5.1 receiver for my home audio. It has no HDMI (it wasn't invented yet or wasn't a standard anyway) but it does have an optical audio port. I have my HDMI devices routed through my TV with an optical audio cable from the TV to the receiver. Works perfectly well, except I now have more HDMI devices than I do ports on my TV so I either need a switch or a receiver with HDMI ports.

7. frank4 macrumors regular

frank4

I am in similar position as OP TrentS, should we look for a receiver that has AirPlay? Most low-end receivers don't have AirPlay.

I know the Apple TV box has AirPlay but it probably needs the TV to be turned on so the user sees the Apple TV menus. With an AirPlay-capable receiver I would think the TV and Apple TV would not need to be turned on, might be a simpler way to get the amplified AirPlay audio at times we don't want to bother with TVs and menus.

I have a couple of 22 year old Denon receivers here still sounding good, I would put that brand on my shortlist for a new A/V receiver.

8. takeshi74, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Optical in is very common. Speaker connections are provided on every receiver out there. There are countless receivers that fit that requirement. You're going to have to give us more to work with to narrow down the options. What's your budget? Are you only connecting the AppleTV and the HD TV? Do you want the receiver to only handle audio or do you you want it to control everything?

Your call to make. Seems a bit redundant to me since the AppleTV supports Airplay.

That said, unitil recently I had an AppleTV connected to my Denon receiver which also supported Airplay.

If you want to see the menus you need a TV connected. You don't need a TV to Airplay audio though. The AppleTV I mentioned earlier is now connected to a receiver where it is only used to Airplay audio from our iPhones and our Macbook Pro.

9. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

The Airplay device mearly becomes a relay. Your iphone or iPad or computer still has full control, just the sound is routed through the Airplay device.

So for instance if I'm on the computer and want to listen to music on the stereo I turn on the receiver and ATV only and set itunes to output to the AppleTV. I continue working on my computer and control songs from there.

Heck you can even remote VNC from one computer in Your house to another computer and set that to airplay to another part of your house.

On the AppleTV, Airplay takes precedence over whatever your doing. If your watching Netflix or a Movie it will interrupt and Airplay and when done return to what you were doing.