Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
I have been itching to upgrade my current home audio setup and need some good ideas.

What I would like to have are speakers both in the house and out by the pool in the backyard. I would like these speakers to be able to play from Ipods and from computers with Itunes over the home WIfi.

This is what I already have around the house:

A yamaha receiver under the TV with surround sound. (pretty much covers the house, sounds good)

Two outdoor rock shaped speakers in the backyard. (currently hooked up to a crappy radio with no AUX inputs)

4 computers on the WIfi with itunes and lots of music and pandora

Wifi that covers the house and backyard.

what do I need to tie it all together?

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
I have been itching to upgrade my current home audio setup and need some good ideas.

What I would like to have are speakers both in the house and out by the pool in the backyard. I would like these speakers to be able to play from Ipods and from computers with Itunes over the home WIfi.

This is what I already have around the house:

A yamaha receiver under the TV with surround sound. (pretty much covers the house, sounds good)

Two outdoor rock shaped speakers in the backyard. (currently hooked up to a crappy radio with no AUX inputs)

4 computers on the WIfi with itunes and lots of music and pandora

Wifi that covers the house and backyard.

what do I need to tie it all together?

It depends, if what you want is a set of 2 (stereo duh) inside the house and the 2 "rocks" you should get a proper integrated amp with A+B zones. An Onkyo, Denon, Maratz etc offer good quality reasonably priced. If you want streaming then I'll recommend an AirPort Express (thats what I use with my Hi-Fi system) hooked to the amp and within iTunes select the source [sharing the music into the streaming computer OFC] (seeing you have 4 computers). Basically leave the Yamaha one for a proper (read: cheap) 5.1 or such theatre. Acquire the set of preferably hi-fi speakers for the inside, the A+B zone amp (or that at least has 4 +- outputs without the zone controlling option; rarely happens; the AirPort Express so that you stream the music. This should cover the things.Oh, also get a set of docks (iPhone, iPod) and hook them to the aux port in the amp. I'll try to do a quick sketch for you to see what im talking about.

hope it helps,
Victor

EDIT: added the crappy sketch, it looks childish, im not too good with computer drawing, but I think i made my point. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    29 KB · Views: 55

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
That looks like a way to start. Thank you! But will the airport express function along with my current wifi router? or will it need to be the router for the house?

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
That looks like a way to start. Thank you! But will the airport express function along with my current wifi router? or will it need to be the router for the house?

If Im not mistaken it can be set to "join" the main wireless; "There’s no need to scrap this setup and create a whole new network. Simply connect AirPort Express to your stereo in your favorite music room and plug it into an electrical outlet — it wirelessly links to your existing network, letting you play your music in your room of choice without moving anything or connecting anything else." (Apple.com). It should work fine, It'll be easier if your existing network is an Extreme or another Express but I recall mine working (albeit the part were it wasn't hooked to my hi-fi system) when we had an MSI 802.11g router and the little option appeared on the bottom of iTunes. I think that this will work via ethernet, if you can run a wire from the main router to the Express it will function as a LAN and appear under iTunes.

Victor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.