Home Automation and New ATV.....

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by gpspad, Sep 10, 2015.

1. gpspad macrumors 6502

Does anyone have any idea if the new ATV will be able to answer calls on your phone or control a TV or amp? Be able to do any home automation type of tasks?

I have been planning a home renovation and was planning on using ATV's to be able to play music in multiple rooms. But all the great features are useless if I need 3 remotes to watch tv or listen to music. I might be better off with older ATV v3's hooked up and use Logitech remotes.

I am planning on having network cable setup for it, just not sure this new ATV is what I thought it might be.

2. machpost macrumors 6502

machpost

I don't know if I'd necessarily want to make or answer phone calls with the Apple TV, but it would be nice to have caller ID and iMessage capabilities on the screen. And FaceTime would be a no-brainer, if there were a camera.

3. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I would imagine you can still forgo the Apple TV remote and use a Logitech instead. You'd probably have to manually assign some buttons, but it would work. As far as home automation, we know it's a remote hub for HomeKit; I'm just not sure anyone really knows the worth of HomeKit at this point. I'm in a state of home automation limbo while seeing how this pans out. I'm currently using Smartthings, which barely works.