Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Hi All,

I don't know when and how it happened but I'm having an issue with home automation. I configured a script that if my front door unlocks, it relocks after X amount of time. Perfect to run out of the house and not relock. Or when I come home unlock the door, come in and it locks so I don't have to worry about it.

This worked without a problem for probably over a year. Recently (again can't peg when) it seems to have lost the automation. I can delete and reprogram it from different devices. But for whatever reason it doesn't run.

Any suggestions? The lock otherwise seems to work without an issue. One thing I noticed is that when I manually lock it from the home app, it seems to get stuck on "locking" (even after it has locked) but when I quit and reopen the app. It says locked.

Any thoughts as to why the automation would no longer work? On that note, where are the automations stored? The home hub I assume? Is there possibly a corrupted file I could try to delete?

Also if I run the automation manually, it works. I have a feeling it never "triggers"?

Thanks for any and all ideas,
Philly

PS: Why can Apple not have some kind of error console on home app so I could track stuff down?
PPS: Don't even get me started on homekit video... :( SIGH
PPPS: If they could just fix the basics

phillyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
fair but not the point. I bought a smart lock to have certain functions. One is to have a door automatically lock. To each their own. It also triggers certain lights to turn on when the door opens. Not the example I gave but I retrofitted my house for a reason. I could use a light switch to turn on/off (and still do for most lights) but for certain scenarios the other fits my lifestyle better. It does not need to apply to you

phillyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
So I did some more investigating and clearly there is a bug or corrupted file. When I open up the automation I see this Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 15.48.02.png
but when I click on the shortcut (change nothing) I get this:
Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 15.48.12.png

Any thoughts on what I can do to fix the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.